1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help pinpointing MVP Plus issue

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by swizcore, Dec 23, 2009.

1. swizcore

swizcore Junior Member
    from 48442

Ok, I bought this MVP Plus 3 years ago. The installation of this thing is idiot proof, its the 8th or 9th plow I have installed myself and this thing is seriously plug and plow.

The first hand held controller lasted one season, the second one lasted two seasons and appears to be going south now just as the first did but before I buy another controller I'd like some experienced insight from this community.

The issue:
    The plow rarely responds to control input on the first button press. Usually it takes two and on the second press it will only move about 4"s at a time. It never does an unexpected function such as angling the wrong way or lifting when trying to angle, it just doesnt always respond. It does scoop far more consistently than any other function.

What I have done regarding troubleshooting:
    Like I said, I am not too keen on paying another $350 for a new controller so Im doing what I can to verify all other components are working as intended before doling out that cash.

Replaced the motor relay mounted to the side of the plow valve body
    Removed, inspected and cleaned all coils and valves
    Drained and replaced all hydraulic fluid
    Assured all fuses are in good condition
    Pulled all plugs in all harness to assure clean connections and grease

My questions:
    Are plow modules and/or isolation modules on the MVP Plus known to fail?
    Are there any components on the MVP Plus that are known to have reliability issues?
    Should I check anything I haven't yet?

I've been servicing our plows and spreaders for over 10 years and this issue has me scratching my head. Although the MVP Plus is an awesome setup, this unreliability really makes the plows speed a nonfactor.

Any advice?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you've done your homework.

The Isolation modules seldom fail but have no bearing on the controller sending the requested signal unless it's completely dead anyway, which yours is not. The plow modules do fail once in a while but rarely. The controllers however...well you've been down that road before. ;)

3. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

Western hand helds have issues, one we see all the time is the wires have a tendency to break in the harness between the controller and its plug. When it fails, does the same function fail each time? If so I would look at the resistance of the coil for that function. If the resistance is high that would kill that circuit in the controller. We have seen this a few times also.
    If you want to know what failed in your unit you could send it to me and we could disect it and give you a diagnosis. Just a thought.

4. swizcore

swizcore Junior Member
    from 48442

Replaced the circuit board in the controller for $100 and it's fixed. Plowguy, could you tell me how to go about testing coil resistance?
    Thanks for the info!

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Connect a DVOM (volt/OHM meter) to the coil terminals on the one you wish to test. Anything below 10 OHM is ok.

6. swizcore

swizcore Junior Member
    from 48442

Great, thanks B&B.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Although that info is helpful for most plows, excessive resistance in the coils causing a controller failure doesn't apply to your MVP Plus. Because the coils are not powered by the controller. They're powered by the plow control module, which is commanded by the controller. So it doesn't apply to your specific plow.

8. swizcore

swizcore Junior Member
    from 48442

So what would you suggest I look into as far as figuring out what is causing the controller to go bad over a season or two? Bad plow module? All the visible connections are perfect so I would have to think it's an internal problem since it sounds like a coil resistance couldn't kill the controller?.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think you will find the root cause of the controller/board failure is simply quality. Many guys carry spare boards.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Only ever saw one case of a bad plow module killing the controller. All other cases were from the controller not being treated like a fine watch. Doesn't take much to kill them. A few falls to the floor or too much moisture takes them right out.

11. swizcore

swizcore Junior Member
    from 48442

Yikes. Well at least $100 is better than $350 for the whole controller. Not that that makes it ok.