1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help on which plow would be best for my truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by andrew29, Jan 24, 2004.

1. andrew29

andrew29 Junior Member

hey all
    I am new to snow plowing. I want to get a plow for my truck.but I am not sure which company I should go with and what size I need. I was also told that I might need a bigger Alternator is this true? Also if any of is from NJ can they also tell me where to go for the best price. I found a few place that want 3500 installed. I have a Dodge Ram2500 4x4 st year 2003 .The alternator size is136 and My truck has the the Heavy Duty Plow Prep group.
    thank you
    mike

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

check out the new western's plows also curtis makes a nice setup you probably wanna get a 8ft blade meyers makes good plow on a budget.But you want a dealer that services what you buy

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I totally agree. Make sure you get something that fits your budget and also something that you'll be happy with. Like Plowman said, I would go with an 8 ft. I wish I would have.:( :waving:

4. foyboy41

foyboy41 Member

what to buy

i also live in new jersey i have a used fisher plow i would buy one new if i was in the market for one ask any body that has one the best built heavy duty to the max plow you can buy in my opinion there is a few dealers in my area one is in farmingdale the other is in trenton . i also have a ram diesel quad cab truck i look at it this way it is an invest ment that will pay me back for years to come . good luck feel free to ask any questions......JOHN

5. bluenite608

bluenite608 Member

plowman said it right, you probably want to go with a 8 footer. and he is also correct in saying that you will most likely get the best price with Meyers. I have a Blizzard now however I have had western,meyers and fisher and it comes down to the Ford, Dodge,Chevy thing which is better everyone has different experiences and stories to tell. If a budget is in place go check out the meyers! Good Luck!!

6. NAC

NAC Senior Member

why not a western

:dizzy:

I have a GMG 2500HD ext/8' with a 8' western pro plow I dont remember what i paid some where about 3000+
    Got it installed at Van Dines In Hackensack NJ very good dealer

web dsc00374.jpg

7. andrew29

andrew29 Junior Member

well for price i was hopping to get something like 2000 but i see that not going to happen I see that the going price is 3500 installed. That what i have gone from a few dealer near me. What about my allternator

8. andrew29

andrew29 Junior Member

yep i was think about going with western. I just want to make sure the truck can handle it and if 3500 is a good price or not

9. NAC

NAC Senior Member

western

yes i think 3500 is a good price, the alternator should be gould if it has a snow plow package as for the wieght it should be good too but the plow dealer can help you with most of your questions

10. andrew29

andrew29 Junior Member

awe ok thanks

11. Cross plowers

Cross plowers Junior Member

2003 ram

I wanted to put my two cents in! Ive got a 2003 3/4 ton hemi ram
    I put an 8.5 western ultramount on it, and am very happy with the performance of it. A local plow installer charged me 3500 plus tax. Worth every penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!! only one drawback
    my plow brackets hang very low. I scrape the ground when going into dips or pulling out of lots with small low entrances.
    hope you go with a 8 or 8.5 it is worth the extra moneypayup

12. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

What ever you do, make sure that the dealer you get it at is reliable and within reasonable distance. You want to be able to get the plow up and running quickly if you ever have anything go wrong with it. That would weigh fairly heavy on my brand decision.

13. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

The deale needs to be a very important item to consider. I went with a well known local guy, and had nothing but problems. I will not buy from that dealer again.

14. DJL

DJL Senior Member

My shop is closer to the NJ/Pennsy border. I bought my plow in Easton, PA from a company called Merkin Equipment. There prices are pretty good but their service, IMO, is great. Helped me out of a jam already earlier this year.

15. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

I have this on my 2003 2500 Dodge and love it. I love the look of the stainless steal plow.

dsc00175a.jpg

16. andrew29

andrew29 Junior Member

wow that does look nice, Your tuck look the same as my but my is in red with out the plow