1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help on plow partner

Discussion in 'Arctic Sectional Sno-Pusher' started by oasisland, Mar 1, 2008.

1. oasisland

oasisland Junior Member

Well just yesterday my plow partner started acting up on me.Worked it pretty hard as usual.
    It started to slowly drift down from the full up position. I left it last night in the up position all the way and this morning the blade was on the ground.It seems to be drifting down slower now than yesterday when it was hot.

Checked the fluid level and is full. Don't see and leaks least ones that i can find. I am wondering what should i be looking at on this thing first for the cause of the problem? What would cause this? I am thinking one of the valves might have an issue not shutting off flow. Any help is appreciated :drinkup:

2. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

My first guess would be the seals In the cylinder need to be replaced...If there Is no sign of leaks anyware...thats what I would look at. Not a big deal to put a seal kit In.

How old Is your Plow Partner?

3. oasisland

oasisland Junior Member

It is probably 4-5 years old, are you talking about the lifting cylinder? (attached picture)

Im going to flush it and check the screens etc on the positioning valves and also the check valve if i can find it. If all else fails then i guess I'm off to buy a cylinder. Or try to get the seal kit. Thanks for the help Daner, Will post back soon.

905316_lg.jpg

4. oasisland

oasisland Junior Member

Ok , Just got in , flushed it out . Fluid looked dirty. Changed it out. Tightened the ring around the cylinder went around almost 2 times before it bottomed out again. Still a larger gap than the one in the pic above. Worked her up and down about 20 times. Left it in the up position and still seems to drift down but much slower. I'll have to wait and see if it hits the ground now.Next step would be to get a new cylinder or seal kit for it and try that correct?

5. oasisland

oasisland Junior Member

Still having issues with the drift. Any other suggestions besides the cylinder?

6. oasisland

oasisland Junior Member

Bump !!!!!!!!!

7. oasisland

oasisland Junior Member

OK got the issue figured out. This will be a bit of good info for someone else with the same type of problem on these things.

Daner you were right it was a cylinder issue thanks again!

Actually the rear seal on the chrome shaft was deteriorated. Little blue plastic bits were clogging the screens on the valves thus making the unit inoperable also restricting the cylinder from smooth operation.That was my first inclination when it wouldn't move at all with brute force and no pressure from the lines as they were removed.
    No problems with the pump it worked as always.We disassembled the ENTIRE unit. Cleaned out all the Blue bits.Put it all back together(the pump and motor assembly) and are now waiting till tomorrow for a new cylinder to arrive at the local dealer. Here the cost is $270.00 plus tax for this thing . HOLY crap is it made of GOLD damn!!!. Makes me mad as i can't find another one in a pinch.And more snow tomorrow night.Hope the part arrives. Just have to mount it all up on the truck when i get the parts and should be good to go!

8. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

Yah I hear ya on the cost of that cylinder. I bought one of these plow partners and it didn't come with one, I called arctic and thats what they gave me for a price. I ended up going to the junk yard and found a good used used one for $30....was your old one not repairable? I had a IMT crane on my welding truck which had a pretty good sized cylinder on it and got a rebuild kit for it for around $60 if I remember right, and I did it myself.

9. oasisland

oasisland Junior Member

Im going to see if i can get a rebuild kit for the old one keep it on hand for down the road.For now i am gonna bite the bullet and replace with a new one.We are expecting 4-6 inches of new snow again for the area tonight.I was thinking any dual acting cylinder with the same length might work as well with a bit of rigging up for the mounting. I got everything mounted back up in the partner , just waiting for the cylinder now.

10. oasisland

oasisland Junior Member

Everything seems to be working now no probs. Had a bit of an issue getting the air out of her but once i did she worked like a charm"knocking on wood".

11. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Glad to hear you got It Fixed...Mine are still running top notch

D