1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help on plow light wiring...

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by KSlandscaper, Dec 23, 2005.

1. KSlandscaper

KSlandscaper Member
    from Kansas

I've searched this site for hours trying to find something to help me figure out how to wire the plow lights to my truck. I didn't find much.

The lights are for a Meyer plow on a 1997 Chevy k-1500. The wiring harness attaches to the 6 pin(?) switch inside the cab. I believe they are the MDI lights with the 5 pin connectors. I figured I'd just splice the turn signal/parking lights directly to the trucks wiring to simplify installation, but I need to find some sorta wiring diagram for the headlights. I bought the plow used and thus the lights are used as well. I have no idea what wire colors are for what and where I attach them to....

Help!

2. norstar

norstar Junior Member

wiring

Just take 12 volts on a jumper clip and very carefully touch to each pin, ya are gonna have to find the black and attach it to ground, ya may wanna fuse your jumper wire. That should do ya. Good luck!
    Norstar

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

some place on here i posted how to do this but since i cant find it i'll run through it for you.

The easiest way is to open up the loom on top of the drivers side fender inner liner, if you check the wire colors at the plugs for the headlight bulbs you will find them inside of this loom. cut the wire that matches the high beam and the low beam wires (power side only, not ground), Your going to need 6 pieces of 14 gauge wire, 2 of the pieces are going to go from the 2 wires that you cut closest to the firewall and and run these back into the cab and onto the center terminals of the switch (one side of the switch will now be low beams and the other high beams), Run 2 wires from the other side of the cut wires closest to the headlight and run these back to the switch and put them on the top terminals of the switch, take the las 2 piecs of wire and run them from the bottom terminals of the switch out to the high and low beam wires for the plow headlights.

with the truck headlight switch on you can change from truck lights to plow lights by putting the switch in the up or down positon.

Hopefully this makes sense to you, you will have to figure out hi and low on the plow by trial and error. Just make sure you take the time to check the wires with a test light before you cut to make sure you have the right one and make sure that you seal up all your connections.

4. PlowingHD

PlowingHD Junior Member

Crash935 has the answer. as far as the colors of the wires in the plow harness, you will have to pull apart one headlamp and figure out which wire is ground. Use a jumper from 12V to test all the other functions you will then know what color wire does what function, then wire them to the swith as Crash described. Good Luck PlowingHD:)

5. KSlandscaper

KSlandscaper Member
    from Kansas

Thanks guys.....that should give me a good start.

6. bnewell

bnewell Banned
    from Ohio

If it helps, I can email the instructions to you.

Brian

7. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

all headlights are not the same

Be careful. Some of the newer trucks turn off the ground and not the 12vdc to turn off the lights. This might cause a problem. There is a wiring diagram that comes with the lights to match the truck you have. See who made the lights and go to there web site. Save your self a lot of trouble. I was given the wrong harness for my truck and caused a lot of problems in getting the lights to work right. Also see the Meyer web site for more details. Also Meyer has a great tech support line in Cleveland.

Dave

8. Crash935

The classic GM's are wired on the highdrive system, its when you get up into 99 that you have to watch for the low drive wired trucks.

9. Crash935

Quick hijack,

Brian, went a checked out your website, nice place you got there.