1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help on how long would it take to plow parking lot.

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by gjfischman, Aug 28, 2008.

1. gjfischman

gjfischman Junior Member

Hi guys, could use your help! Great site by the way!!

I've been asked to bid on the snow removal of the parking lot pictured below. I have an idea how much to charge per hour, but i'm not sure how long it would take to plow it @ 2 inches. Anyone have an approximate idea. Also, approximately how much rock salt would it take for a normal application.
    And, the company wants a bid per plow, per salt application, per hour rate and per season. I know some snow companies do it, and some businesses ask for it, but how the heck do you bid snow removal for a season!! Could really use some help on that!

The parking lot dimensions are ; 670 x 325 = 219,375 sq. ft., The road around the side and back of the building is; 1000 long x 40 wide = 40,000 sq.ft., the loading dock around back is; 175 x 40 = 7000 sq.ft.

The parking lot is pretty open. It only has light posts at both end of the parking areas and a few islands.

No snow removal of sidewalks needed and salt can be stored on site.

Equipment being used; 2 - 1 ton 4x4 dump trucks, both have 8.5 ft. plows, both have 2 - 3 ton capacity v-box hoppers.

Lowe,s parking lot 3.jpg
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

4 hours to plow
  3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

so you have about 6 acres...and 1 acre per hour per truck...
    so about 3 hours plus clean up and walks.

try the search function. I posted production schedule on here.

good luck.
  4. gjfischman

gjfischman Junior Member

Thanks Guys!!!
  5. PerfiCut Inc.

PerfiCut Inc. Senior Member
    from Eastern

I would agree, 4 hours to clear should be enough. Probably looking at 3k-4k in salt.
  6. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Just curious where your stacking the snow? Up in the upper right corner buy the small island? Is there more than one stack place?
  7. gjfischman

gjfischman Junior Member

I was thinking of having 3 stack sites. Two at each end and one in the middle away from building. There is seasonal stuff at the left side of parking lot, so that should be ok. I guess I'll worry about that more if I get the job. From what I understand there is 6 other companies bidding this job. So.... we'll see.
  8. DKStorey

DKStorey Junior Member

I'm having trouble figuring out how much salt to apply per acre in a bid for a 9 acre lot?
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

2 trucks right?

with 2 trucks, about 2 to 2.5 hours plus whatever to salt it (we don't salt here, I have no idea on salt)

1 truck can do 2 acres an hour from 1 to about 5 inches.
    Your trucks are a little bigger, they should do at least that well.
    That's a big wide open lot, easy push.
    The road about the back is easy too.
  10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You'll be busy doing 1 acre/hour in big lots. In small lots the snow doesn't have to go that far and in big lots the long pushes eat up your time. I'll be very surprised if you can do that in 3 hours with 2 trucks at 4', with V boxes in your truck. JMO
  11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I salt heavier then most but on average I'd say close to 4 ton, depending on conditions.
  12. gjfischman

gjfischman Junior Member

Thanks for all your input guys! They told me last week that I was one of the company's consided, but they took the lower bid. Go figure!
  13. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

Put some wings on your plows! It will save you about 30 percent less plow time!