1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help on hourly sub rates

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mc1, Dec 22, 2008.

1. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

i live in rochester ny and have for 4 years subbedd for a friend of mine but i have always gotten a flat rate for the season. he didnt have enogh work this year so i am shopping my services around i have an 08 ford f550 with a 9 ft xblade anda 3 yard smith salter. i have no idea what hourly rate i should be asking for i know 4 years ago with just a truck and plow i was getting 65 an hour but i know thats too cheap!!!! any help would be appreciated i have 5 years commercial exp. thanks matt

2. Snowman087

Snowman087 Junior Member

I get 100 an hour in nebraska

3. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

You're going to have to find a contractor who is willing to work with you. If the contractor has no use for your salter than he isn't going to pay you anymore than he would to a guy without a salter.

Every situation is different, don't choose a price before you sit down and talk with someone. Talk with them, determine their needs and then negotiate a price.

4. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

Sorry I can't help you . I pay my subs by the stop.

5. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

$65 an hour with a per application or per pound rate for any ice melt that you spread.

6. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Why dont you talk to some contractors in the Rochester NY area to see what the going rate is......payup

I get $8.75 and a atta boy an hour...So the rates in this area are not gonna help you there.....

7. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I get 110/hr here in PA for a plow and V-box

8. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I get $207.09 an hour here....Does that help you........Im guessing Not....:help:

9. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

Erie PA $35-40 per hour like it or not

10. The best advice given was to talk to contractors in YOUR AREA,and see what they are offering. That is the only way to know, as Im sure you have seen on here rates vary greatly from area to area. As it has also been noted in other threads it seems like the areas with less events pay better per event then the ones with lots of snow. Think of it this way a guy making 35/hr but having 15-20 events is gonna make more in the season than a guy making 100/hr for 3 events.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  11. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I had 2 companies call me to pick up some lots for them. They were offering $45 to $55 an hour to do them. And that was with an XLS plow. I just say no thanks. If I pickup a lot from another company I always do a per push rate or a seasonal rate for it. But if you are just a sub then the option to turn down work is not always an option, But those are the rates here in Cleveland.

12. Mackman

from S.E. PA

That is crazy. People have to be smoking the good stuff to plow for that.

13. dieseldawg

dieseldawg Junior Member

$65.00 an hour 4 years ago was good money for this area.

14. jwsland

jwsland Junior Member

Very nice! Where are you located if you don't mind me asking?

I started 6-7 years ago at $65 per hour, now I'm at $75. Not enough in my opinion!

15. RMC LANDSCAPING

RMC LANDSCAPING Member
    from Chicago

also if its by the hour, check to see how many hours each storm ect. if your getting 100 per hour, and they only need you for a few hours, i would take alittle less pay for lot more hours

16. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

you slso have to remember the economy is crappy, I am a sub I get $55.00 per hour for an F350 with a boss v plow and my boss put a Western 1000 spreader on my truck that I get to use on a few accounts I have. I do get a great amount of hours we have a 24 hour store we provide service for. Also look at how much accumulation you are plowing. If you are pushing a inch or half inch like we do and you can do it all in 2wd that will help out on the fuel and wear and tear.

17. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

People can't afford good stuff to smoke if they plow for that rate.

18. Mackman

from S.E. PA

Im about 25mins south of philly. In delaware county. I can spit on delaware.

19. BlazingSun

BlazingSun Junior Member

My subs get paid per job. All of them are given rates and expectations and routes prior to season. If they dont like a rate per property, we discuss and most of the time come to terms. Only one sub is paid per hour, he is on stand by if others dont "make the route" or we get more than 10", he makes $150 hr but works exclusively on my accounts.

20. NJlandscaper908

NJlandscaper908 Member
    from NJ

3 years ago I was getting $75/hr for a 3/4 ton and an 8ft blade. 20-30 hrs for most storms