1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help On Gravel Drive Bid Please!!!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by cstrom, Oct 14, 2009.

1. cstrom

cstrom Junior Member

I just went out to inspect a property to plow, it happens to be a gravel drive about a half mile long that meanders to a house and then down and around a barn. I'm not sure if I would just charge her a $75 per hour residential or $150 as a commercial rate and then not to mention the fact that it is gravel. Please help, anyone with any answers. Thanks a bunch ussmileyflag

2. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I charge the same for gravel or asphalt as long as the gravel is fairly well maintained.
    They fix the gravel themselves in the spring or pay to have it done if that should be the case. On a well built and maintained gravel drive/lot the gravel rarely gets displaced enough to cause concern.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Really depends on what type of gravel if it's pea stone forget that stuff never freezes ,Sometimes it's better to walk away then be pissed all winter trying to plow it.

4. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

learned this the hard way.. plowed a friend of a friends at a discounted rate (i know.. naughty) and it was no bigger then 3/8' pea crusher run.. i sunk in every stinkin time. blade dug down, i had to drop the blade and pull back up to just scalp it and call it a day (not a maintained driveway by any means)

if you were to bid it and get the account i would take into affect that you will be on that account longer then you think.. and make sure the owner knows your not responsible for displaced driveway/stone.. i think hourly might do good in this situation so neither parties get screwed, it will take you longer to negotiate the surface, you should be compensated for this.. make sure the owner knows this as well.

yea i would charge an hourly rate for this job.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You won't make much money at $75 an hour. Sounds like it's at least $75 per push. Once the gravel freezes, it will push just like black top. You'll be out of there in 20 minutes. Like grandview said, what kind of gravel is it? If it has plenty of sand, OK. If it's small stone that you push your foot down in when you wiggle it, stay away.