1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help on Estimating What to Charge ASAP

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Jdeerekid, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Jdeerekid

Jdeerekid Member

I have a person that wants me to snowblow a 40'x40' area and a path to the area that is 8' wide by about 60' long. It has not been touched at all since the begining of winter and has about 4-5' of snow in it.

I will have to drive my tractor 5-6 miles each way as I don't have a trailer yet. I will be doing it with my tractor that has a 6 1/2' blower on it.

I estimate it will take me at least 2-3 hours if I dont run into any problems. Oh, it is also a gravel lot.

I haven't done a lot this big yet and usually don't drive that far as all my driveways I do are within 1-2miles away.

So what should I charge????

Thanks for the help.

2. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Give them an hourly rate with a minimum time and include drive time.

It will probablay take you longer to drive there then to blow it.

You have to figure that they haven't been paying someone all winter. Don't get sucked into the "We want to sign with you for the season so give us a good rate today" crap. Charge what you want and see how it goes after.

3. QuadPlower

OR

40'x40 is not that big. Driveways are easily 20' x 40'. Double that price and then double again for the depth of the snow and then add something for travel time.

4. Jdeerekid

Jdeerekid Member

This will only be a one time thing unless they want me to do it later in the season if we get alot more snow. I drove by the place and no one was home. They want me to blow a path from there main driveway that is already plowed to their barn. Then from their barn to a 40'x40' area that they want opened up for their horses.

For a normal driveway that I blow out I get anywhere from $35 to $50 each time. If I am pushing back snow I usually get at least $75/hr. It is going to take me about 45 each way to drive and maybe an hour at the most of work. As I said before the snow is at least 4' deep and hasn't been moved all season so I am asuming it is kind of hard packed.

Am I in range? What should I charge if I am off?

Thanks again

I estimated around $300-$350.

5. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

yep 300-350 sounds about right if he really needs a tractor to do it

6. QuadPlower

Sounds good. Give them the price before hand though. Make sure they know what to expect. And make sure they know you expect payment either before or right when you are done.

7. Jdeerekid

Jdeerekid Member

Well I gave them my quote and they laughed at me. They weren't expecting to pay me more than $50. Then I laughed and told them good luck finding someone to do it for that and if they do expect it to look like a $50 job. Everyone wants something for nothing.

8. QuadPlower

What a waste of time. Doesn't that piss you off when you give an honest price and someone thinks you should do it for nothing?

Better luck next time and don't drop your price. They will give you a call in a couple days wanting you to do it.