1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help on Curtis salt spreader

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by FINE LAWNS, Jan 6, 2009.

1. FINE LAWNS

FINE LAWNS Junior Member
    from PA

I have a Curtis TS-17 V BOX spreader with hideaway hydraulics.about 4 years old.
    Last year one of my drivers removed the safety chain (who needs a safety chain:confused:).He was suprised when the spreader fell out of the truck loaded to the top whith salt, and of course at rush hour,needless to say the rear of the unit got smashed inn.
    ah what the heck its only 5 big ones.Anyway my mechanic removed the engine(smashed)
    and some how it got lost.We are now in the process of puting the unit back toghether,and guest what:confused: ?We dont know what kind of tecumseh engine it was, and to make maters worse our dealer dont know either. Why do I feel like im thr Moron here:confused:I
    Im sure that some of you guys upthere can help me with engine model and serial #.
    Thank in advance. Frank Happy New Yearrrrrrrr ussmileyflag

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I Can look tommorow

Why not just put a honda on it

3. FINE LAWNS

FINE LAWNS Junior Member
    from PA

Thanks cretebaby. That unit also came wth a honda engine vertical shaft. Dont know if a honda horizontal shaft will fit, You could be right though. thanks. Frank.

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

It really wouldnt matter what position the shaft was in because you can put the pump on in any position

5. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

Model OHH50

Spec 68154H

Dom 02226CD0086

It's funny I have this sitting on an index card next to my computer because I called for a needle valve and seat today.

Trouble is, tecumseh went out of business last week. I would call northern with the specs, and ask them for a Honda replacement.

6. FINE LAWNS

FINE LAWNS Junior Member
    from PA

You guys are great, thanks for info. by the way I have purchased engines from smallenginewerahouse.com. great deals. thanks again.

7. chaddy1228

chaddy1228 Junior Member

I have a briggs and Stratton 5hp on My curtis spreader. Engine code 1050. Works great and cheap to replace.