1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help on both of my E60's

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by NCat496, Dec 22, 2009.

1. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

I searched a lot for this problem and found some answers but I am still a little comfused. On 2 of my E60's they are raising slow and it sounds like the motor is crying. They were both low on fluid and i refilled them but they are still making the noise. checked the fluid again and it was low again and filled to where it should be. Dont really know what to do next, should I just replace the motors on both of them? Im sure this is a repeat thread but I cannot find any straight answers. Thank you!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Assuming that they angle with normal speed...

First be sure all the power cables connections are good. Then, if they're single stud motors it's probably time to remove the motors and clean all the corrosion from under the mounting base that builds up over the years, which creates grounding issues and weak performance. If they're already double stud motors then it's time for a brush clean out or motor replacement.

The E60's eat motors like no other pump. Hence one of the reasons they were discontinued.

3. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Thank you B&B I picked up new motors today for them. Ran me $160 with tax, not too bad I thought. Any tips I should know before attempting this tomorrow?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Be gentle with the mounting screws as they have a nasty habit of corroding in the aluminum mounting place thus breaking off. If they don't feel right as you're trying to loosen them don't hesitate to saw the heads off and slide the motor off the left over bolts. Then you can heat the plate (slightly) to remove the rest of the bolt.

If after removing the motor you find the the motor end plate is corroded and stuck in the pump mounting plate it's no fun from there. Hope you don't find that to be the case.

Also be sure the mounting plates are as clean as a pin before installing the replacement motors.

5. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

So are you saying grind off the paint on the part of the motor that makes contact with the pump? These pumps were torn down last year by a very well trusted guy that works at the local Napa last year so when he cleaned the brushes im sure he never siezed everything. Too bad he had bad diabetes and is about to have his foot removed. :(

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not on the motor, on the motor mounting plate attached to the pump unit. This is your chance to remove all previous corrosion thus allowing the motor to set flat on the plate. If any corrosion buildup is left to remain when you draw the new motor up it won't set flat, causing more issues that you haven't even though about yet. :D

7. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Thanks B&B your a life saver. Hopefully it goes smooth. Good thing is I am doing it in the morning so no beers will be involved and I should be on top of my game. Haha :drinkup:

8. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Ncat let me know how this works I have to do the same with a new motor on one of th e-60I have should have done it when I redid the seals ( yea I know B&B you told me so) but i have to paint it again. Got the 2 post motor .

9. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

I will let you know. Depending on how aggervated I get I will try to take pictures.

10. fernalddude

Pics would be good but dont get pissed, bet you will break the bolts, I dont think the 60's have the extra bolt holes the 47 have. keep us posted......

11. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Hey guys I replaced 2 of my E60 motors today. It was very easy and I did both in about an hour. Sorry I dont have more picsbecause my dad just arrived in South America for vacation and he had called right as I started this and I couldnt just call him back because of phone cards and all that stuff. But I had these pumps rebuilt last year and the guy took the motors off and used copper based anit-seize on there so they came of with no force at all. I took the bolt out of the lift ram and dropped the pump down so I could get the 2 bolts out of the motor. Very easy fix for $160 with tax, and a piece of mind too. If i forgot anything just ask some questions. Also thank you B&B for all the tips and the quick responses. :salute:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  12. fernalddude

How do they work now do they still grone at the end of the lift?

13. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

They still have that typical E60 grone but they are much quicker. It was well worth it to do this though.

14. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Good job, but a question for the pros......

I have heard people on here complaining about water getting into that joint where the motor joins the base.....Why don't people just put a bead of silicone around it?...Wouldn't that keep the moisture out?

15. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

NCat, did you buy an OEM motor or an aftermarket one?

16. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

I bought it at Napa in chesterland. Bill sold it to me for $160 including tax. If you need help doing it I think you know where I live :nod:

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like the past rebuild saved you some removal grief. Good to hear there. :drinkup:

I don't see a ground jumper on the motor negative post over to the sump base like there should be. Is it there, just not visible in the pics...or just not there at all?

Poncho- you can run the silicone around the motor to sump base joint if you like. Doesn't hurt but doesn't help much either as most of the corrosion buildup stems from electrolysis, not water intrusion. Thats why the anti-seize helps.

18. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Yes B&B it is there you just cant see it in the pics. It goes from the motor to the sump base. Does it matter if it goes form the sump base to the motor though? Just wondered because last year when I got these back from being rebuilt i wasant sure how it went.

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Either way is fine. All that matters is that it's there, and clean and tight of course too.

20. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Yep they are there. Thanks for your help :salute: