1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help on a F250?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Ant118, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Ant118

Ant118 Senior Member

Im looking at selling my Bmw 335 and get a truck as a DD and plow truck in the winter. Put it to work and make some money with it. Im looking at a 2008 F250 FX4 Crew. 6.4L Diesel. My father had the F350 FX4 6.0L Diesel. That motor was horrible. I have a 01' Duramax as a beater plow truck. Just wondering if there was any problems with this body or the motor. Hows the Fuel economy and reliablity. Any info would be great.

Thanks.

2. snowbelt5

snowbelt5 Member

The 6.0L diesel was a horrible motor? Wow, i get 8-10 mpg plowing, not a single motor or transmission problem in over 1000 logged hours of plowing. Did I mention awesome power?

3. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

If you already have the Chebby, keep the 335i and plow with the Chebby until it dies. You are not going to get balls deep the first couple years anyway.

4. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

The 6.4 is a great motor and truck. I have owned 7.3's 6.0's and 6.4's. I liked my 6.0's but LOVE the 6.4. Stock i only got 14-15mpg on the highway but after tuning it and removing my dpf I jumped up to 17-19mpg. Plowing without the dpf on our reg cab we are only using 1.5-2gph.
    If you can try to find a 09 over the 08. Some of the early 08's had a few problems but I would not be scared of one. Get a custom tuned SCT and dpf delete and the truck will be more fun to drive then the BMW.
    Robert

5. Ant118

Ant118 Senior Member

Only reason I say the 6.0L was a horrible motor is because my father had serious problems with injectors and the motor went at 50,000kms. Ive also heard of problems with them through friends. Keeping the my Bmw doesnt make sense anymore. Im a club racer/instructor for bmw of canada. So i still have my track car. Just want a Nice DD and going to need a 2nd truck for plowing next season. Plus I can do some hauling with it for some cash on the side. So just wondering how the 08' F250 FX4 is for plowing, issues, etc.. and how the 6.4L is. issues, problems. etc..

Thanks.

6. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Stay away from the 6.4!!!!! Horrible fuel MPG and Turbos and egr and a few other things are cab off repair. Thats about 30 hours of labor to replace a tubo. At say 70 an hour plus a turbo. You are looking at 3k repairs. The 6.4 resale value out of warranty will be worse than a 03 6.0. Buy a newer Dmax or Dodge. I love the look of the new fords. But they made some huge mistakes

7. Ant118

Ant118 Senior Member

MPG isn't my biggest concern. But the repairs yes. Are the Duramax's as good as my 2001? And How are the Alliston's still strong? And Dodge. Not the biggest fan but are there any issues?

8. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Assuming you only care about straight line power.

9. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

70 an hour!? Lordy, take me to this shop right away! 70 an hour is cheap.

10. gravelyguy

gravelyguy Member
    from Indiana

Having to raise the cab is pretty crappy, but it doesn't take 30 hrs. I was just talking to my dealer about this the other day because they had one in the shop with the cab lifted. They said that they normally lift the cab even for small repairs just so things are easier to get to.

I say swing for the new 6.7:nod: It will purr like your BMW, and they made things easy to get to. Once you remove a few things, the whole top of the engine opens up.

11. Ant118

Ant118 Senior Member

I would love the new 6.7but i found a nice 07 F250 FX4 Crew with 20's for 35k Canadian. Looking at the Mid 30's. Dont want a work style truck either because it will be a DD.

12. gravelyguy

gravelyguy Member
    from Indiana

an 07 will still have the 6.0 in it?

13. Omran

Omran Senior Member
    from KY

Well here is what I think.

A lot of ppl here and on other fourms try to hate a truck, just because it is not thier test or because they heard something bad about it, let me tell you something my friend, When Ford build trucks, ford hires top notch engneers to design and build thier new motors, and they test thier equipments for long hours, Here In KY 30 miles from where I live is the Home OF FORD super duty trucks, some of my friends and relatives work there, I can asure you that 95% of the time is lack of maintnence or bad operator, all what I do with my f350 is pulling a 16k # trailer everyday, or pushing snow and thanks God with TLC and maintnence I never had an issue with it.

14. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

30 hours???? Do you have any idea what your talking about?? A experienced tech can lift a cab, replace a turbo and set the cab back down in less than 10 hours. I have only done a few of them, and do not claim to be a good mechanic but i can still pull a superduty cab in like 6 hours.
    And the 6.4 resale being lower than a 03 6.0??? SURE :rolleyes:
    I swear guys come on here just to bash stuff when they have little to NO experience.

To the OP, like I said we have 2 6.4's and they are GREAT trucks. the 03-07 5.9 is a more reliable motor but the rest of the truck is not near as good as the ford.
    The gm is a good truck with a great motor but I am not a fan of IFS.
    good luck with your decision.
    Robert

15. Ant118

Ant118 Senior Member

Sorry ment to say 08'. Well I found a 2008 F350 King Ranch. 80,000kms Crew short box for 30k Canadian. Might go take a look at that one tomorrow. Or a 2008 F250 FX4 Crew Short Box, all blacked out, and 50,000kms for 36k Canadian.

Leaning towards the 1-ton I think. Better for hauling in the spring and summer.