1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help! occasional power problem at controller

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by snow game, Jan 23, 2013.

1. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I have a Fisher XLS 4 years old. I thought I was going crazy the other night when plowing. My remote would shut off every so often. It will usually shut off on its own if I have traveled for more than 20-30 minutes without using it. The other night it would do it more often. At first I thought maybe I just hit the wrong button, (i remember reading just the other day about a simmilar problem but I couldn't find it with a search).
    Anyway this happened at least a dozen times in 6-7hrs. The remote is working fine other wise. as soon as I turn it back on everything works fine again. Just worried the problem will get worse, any help would be appreciated
  2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

When this occurred, was it day or night?
  3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Disregard, I'm sleeping at the wheel over here; it was night time.

I don't see this as your issue, but I think this is the thread you were referring to.

The controller will turn off after 20 minutes of inactivity. Are you certain it's not just timing out?

If the controller is blinking before it shuts down, then it's a poor connection at the grill, or the plow's ISO module. Trouble is, if you haven't seen it actually shut down, and it's periodic at best...it's going to make diagnosing a little harder.

First Check your controller connector under the dash for a snug fit.

Second, Take apart the controller, check the plug in from the cord to the PCB within the housing. If there is a loose wire, or the connection is loose....this is where I think your issue lies, but we shall see.

Next to check would be the square 4 position connector that runs off the control harness mid way out into the light harness, the fuse, and the other square 4 position connector at the end of the control harness. Visual aid below.

Then it's out to the grill connector (4 pin - control / power), check the wires going into the back of both connectors, as well as the pins / sockets.

You've probably found your issue by now, but if not, head out to the pump assembly and check the connections at the ISO.

Do you have a 3 Port ISO?

4. snowyangel

snowyangel Junior Member

Could it be sleep mode?
  5. LON

LON Senior Member

Probably a loose wire at the white molex connector or a broken wire at the base of the handle. My own X-V had a loose wire that kept cutting out power to my control at different times.