1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help now!!!

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Deerewashed, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Deerewashed

Deerewashed Senior Member

soon i will be purchasing a truck. i am getting my permit in a few months and am going to start a project truck to be my first truck. but i am am not here about the truck i am here for strobes. i dont know sqwuat about strobes and leds. tell me what to get and where to put them. links help. also dont know how to install but right now i need to know what to get. i have a budget of 2,000 or a tad more for strobes power supplys and switches and interior stuff. dont know much and dont no much about how much is going to cost but would like alot and have looked. i would like to also ask what colors are best please help.

2. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Well first what kinda truck? When will you primarily be plowing? day/night??

I run hide-a-way strobes as I personally think they are brighter than the leds... I know you can get the whelen vertex led's for $65each so if you went with 4 you would be at $260 get a nice full size led bar used for $600.

So for under a grand you are covered with all leds..

for around $500 you can get a nice strobe bar and 6 hide-a-way strobes.

There is a guy on here selling a nice led bar for $350 and it has an arrow stick built in nice for the $$$$ I was gonna get one from a local supplier for $900 but got a smoking deal on a whelen justice!!

Good luck in what ever you get and know that stuff isnt hard to wire if you take your time and do a good job it should last a long time.
  3. Deerewashed

Deerewashed Senior Member

thanks....i am looking towards a chevy and will mainly be plowing at night. got school in the morning so ya night. and thanks. so where do hide aways go?
  4. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Colors will most likely be regulated by your state's motor vehicle law. Most states allow snow removal equipment to use amber lights, and some states require a permit to mount/display an amber light on a vehicle.

This Wikipedia page is about emergency vehicle lighting. Your plow truck won't be an emergency vehicle, but the page has some information about the differences between LEDs (light-emitting diodes), strobes, and other devices meant to try and catch the attention of other drivers.

To read some of the ads on eBay, you might think all strobes are LEDs, or vice versa. There are differences in the technology, and differences in the capabilities of each. If you see something listed as "Halogen LED Strobe Beacon," it's either a big ol' light bar with three different kinds of lights in it, or somebody's just trying to catch the eye of potential bidders. (Or they don't know what they're selling, other than "it's supposed to flash ur sumthin'.")
    Another good reason to buy known brands, from people who don't have "all sales are final" at the bottom of all their pages.
  5. Grotonems5

Grotonems5 Member
    from Vermont

the insert strobes are usually installed in your front corner lamps and tail lights. To install insert strobes you drill a 1" hole in the light assembly you are installing them in and they either 1. pop in or 2. have small screws that hold them in. You will have to run strobe cables back to your power supply (probably in your cab, most need to be in a dry location) and run 12v to the power supply from a switch. Insert strobes require a power supply, strobe cables, and the insert strobe itself. That is the benefit of LED's, they usually only require a power and ground to operate.. much simpler, and draw way less power off your battery, which is good when you are running flood lights at night and possibly an electric/hydraulic plow.
  6. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

You will find a lot of great info here on plowsite. It will take some time to go through it all. If you aren't familiar with vehicle electronics, you are better off having the equipment installed by a reputable installer. If you decide to take the project on by yourself, take the time and resources to do it right the first time.

Make sure you get weatherproof connectors for the strobe tubes and associated cable ends. Make sure everything is fused properly and all wire is rated for the current you are using. I recently have started working on some premade wire harnesses call EazyPower Harnesses. You can see some examples here:

In most cases you get what you pay for. so if you go on eBay and buy a strobe kit for $120, it will most likely not fit your needs in the end. Check these out to give you some ideas:

7. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

If your only plowing at night and cant do 24hr service I dont think 2,000 in lights is a good idea. But thats me. Just get a mini strobe rotator bar