1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help matching a truck to a spreader...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Menghi08F150LT, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Menghi08F150LT

Menghi08F150LT Junior Member

I've searched up the wazoo and can't find much info on anything pertaining to this. So I'll explain.

I have an 08 F150, the GVWR is around 7500 I believe, it has a 6.5' box. It has a Fisher HT series plow, and for right now a Western 1000 tailgate spreader. It has a ceased lower bearing that I am having the hardest time getting off. I'm considering just selling it to replace with a small box sander.

I don't plow commercially with the truck. Call me stupid for wanting a box, but I plow three driveways every storm, and I'm on an as-needed basis for a handful of others. One of these is my 75 year old grandmother's house, who has an 800 foot driveway and at the top, it's roughly the size of a small-to-medium sized gas station. It's at an off angle, and more times than not it freezes over. My concern about this is, it's a large area to do without ice prevention, since my aunt lives there as well and I'd rather them not fall on any ice, they have their fair share of health issues each.

I'm also re-considering selling the 1000 anyway. From everything I've read, you can't keep material in it. This poses a problem for me, since this summer I've had lyme disease and have pretty bad back pains most of the time, much more pronounced this year than any other year (they might be related? i'm not sure). Lugging bags of salt to fill this thing up is more than a chore at this point.

I don't think I need a big box. No matter what I get, it's not going to be filled to the brim unless it's a smaller sander, and even then it might have maybe 500lbs of salt/sand in it. The weight can fit, if I do the math right, since I'm supposed to have roughly 850lbs of ballast in the truck anyway per Fisher's recommendations. If I do wind up with a box, I have nothing against picking up a couple of more driveways of friends and making some extra cash.

I've been looking at the LPV spreader from Meyer. It's on the light side, electric, and can fill to a total weight of 1800lbs per their site. Uses a drag chain. It says on the site that it works for 1/2 ton trucks. I have no idea what they run for in price. Because it's electric I'd only run it after I'm done clearing, alternating between this and the plow to put less of a strain on the electrical system. Once the truck's warranty voids (in maybe 3 months), I will upgrade to a larger alternator.
    http://www.meyerproducts.com/spreaders/lpvspreader.aspx

I have a few options from the looks of it, and I don't know what my budget will and should be. but here they are-

1) Struggle and fix my 1000. Struggle to fill it. Less desirable of the few.

2) Meyer base line 600 (1000lbs dry) or the LPV (6 foot, 600lbs about). Gas and electric respectively, both stainless. Does anyone have experience with these? Most preferred option of all is the LPV

3) Pick up a used 7 foot spreader and keep it on the empty side. I do not mind making stops to fill it. But I'm concerned about the weight and the fact it's larger than the truck's box.

What would you guys suggest?

2. Menghi08F150LT

Add a 4th option... I found a Sno-Way 6 foot used locally, electric model.

3. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

SnowEx 7750

I ran a SnowEx 7550 in a F150 for a couple years. It is a 1.4 yard box and I added an overload spring and it worked well. Just don't over load it. It is all electric and also has an auger feed system that helps your regulate material flow rate.

4. Menghi08F150LT

Thanks Wayne. I went searching yet again and found a Salt Dogg SHPE075, which is their about 4 foot model. It was used twice and is in pretty much brand new shape, the guy I bought it from got it and found out he needed a bigger one, but this one fits the application perfectly. Tomorrow I'm ordering a mix from a local company (actually down the road from me fwiw) since this thing can throw a mix, which was my goal ultimately.