1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help? Mark 3 Western plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Kjhartman, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Kjhartman

Kjhartman Junior Member

I have a mark 3 Wetern plow on a 91 Chevy 1500. It has a new battery and alternator, but everytime I plow the battery drains all the way dead. It only last for about 20 min before it is completely done. I only use it for my long driveway so I'm not working it real hard.I have blue fluid in it and some one told me the fluid could make the lift draw to many amps and drain my battery. Is this true or does anyone have any other ideas?

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I never heard the hydraulic fluid doing that.But then there might be a first..

Have you check to see if you have a short somewhere in the electrical system?

Here is a fast way to check..Making sure everything is off in the truck (lights, interior lighting, radio, heater, and so on) using a test light remove the positive wire from the battery. Using the pointed end of the test light, stab the positive wire making sure it is stuck in there good. The other end (clip) of the test light, attach it the the positive side of the battery.. If the test light is not glowing,then there is not short..If the light IS glowing, then you have a short.. To find the short, remove one fuse, if the light goes out, the look for the name of the location you pull the fuse out of. this will give you and Idea were to start looking. If the light stay on then put the fuse back in and try another fuse.

Also check your grounds to make sure the are clean and clean were they also also attach (motor, truck frame).. Make sure there is no rust..

You said you replace the alt. How many amps is it putting out??

When you replace the battery, what is the cranking amps??

3. Kjhartman

Kjhartman Junior Member

CA on the battery is 800 @ 32degree and 650 @ 0 degrees. I'm not sure about the alt??
    I was woundering about a short, but did not have any clue on how to start looking for it.
    Thanks for all the info - getting tired of freezing my tail while im jumping it with my other vehicle.

4. twinman326

I don't know what kind of auto parts store you have were you live, but maybe one of them could check out your charging system to see if it is charging correctly.. If they do that out were you live, also have them do a "load test"..That will tell you what really going on either with your battery, or the alt......

On my vehicle, I have two batteries, 200amp alt with a 250amp fuse. Plus a 10ga charging wiring off the back of the alt..

5. Kjhartman

Kjhartman Junior Member

The light went out when I pulled the CTSY fuse. It looks like all it runs is the inside light and the cigarette lighter. I left the fuse out and ran the truck up and down the drive way moving the plow and pushing some piles around. I ran it for about 30 minutes - shut the truck off and then started it right back up. The battery cranked it over good and didnt seem to drain at all. Could this really be all that it was?
    Anyway - thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. twinman326

The cig lighter might be the problem.. Or one of the door switch could be sticking, or need to be replace..

Here is a stupid question, when the fuse was in, did the interior lights shut off??

Remember this' ELECTRIC is stupid when it loses it grounds..It will flow anywhere and everywhere until you fix the problem..

You know the location of the problem. One day when your not so busy, try to trace the wire and fix the problem..Amazing what you can find in a junk yard for parts....

That is a cool trick using a test light..I keep that test light in your plow kit.One day you might need it..Another think you keep in your truck, a "battery pack". It has it own jumper cables.. so if you get stuck and need a jump, u have it right next to you.. Just bring it in the house every night and charge the pack up, then take it with you the next time your out on the road plowing..

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  7. Kjhartman

Kjhartman Junior Member

When the fuse was in the inside light would turn off and on when shutting the door. I have had to shut the door a couple of times in the past to get the light to go off, so it probably is the door switch.
    Your help has very much appriciated - thanks agian

8. twinman326

Your very welcome........

Safe plowing