1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help. Mag Chloride vs Cal Chroride

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Lynden-Jeff, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Haven been looking in to liquid deicers and have been having issues finding them locally. I was looking for calcium chloride but found a dealer with Mag Chloride at $525 for 1000 litres or 275 gallons. ($1.90 gal) Now I assume this is ready to apply? What application rate do you guys use for a mag chloride product? All my calculations work out to the price being very expensive per application. Is cal chloride a better/cheaper prewetting soultion or should I be looking at a brine/chloride mix? Any information welcome, this will be used as a pre wetting agent before snow storms, light dustings and ice events.

2. DKG

DKG Senior Member

Jeff, do you plan on using liquids straight, or to pre wet rock salt?
  3. Vicen

Vicen Junior Member
    from PA

Mag Chloride vs. Calcium Chloride

Hey Jeff

That price of $1.90/gallon for Magnesium Chloride is actually a good price at this time of year in our location here in PA. We setup our customers with a Calcium chloride solution and another formulation called "Melt More". As to which one is better, Mag or Calcium, I would say Calcium is because it causes an exothermic reaction when it comes in contact with moisture and might be more effective in certain storm conditions because it actually generates heat.
  4. Lynden-Jeff

For the moment straight but we may also wet salt eventually. Any info you can provide would help.

Thanks for the info, I take it calcium chloride is much cheaper? Is it possible to cut a brine solution with either magnesium or calcium to lower its operating temperature?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  5. DKG

DKG Senior Member

Jeff I think its a very good idea to cut cal or mag with salt brine for economics. I would use mainly salt brine and then add cal or mag as temperatures dictate. PS I think $1.90/gal for mag, ready to go is about right for Southern Ontario.
  6. Lynden-Jeff

Do you have a source for calcium? Also how do you make your brine, just mixing bulk salt in a vat with water and a mixing pump?

7. DKG

DKG Senior Member

Cal and mag liquid you should be able to mix in a vat. For salt brine you need to trickle water through salt, just like making coffee.
  8. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

make your own calcium chloride solution for about $.68 per gallon.
    my formula melts to -60 below, yes you read that right -60
    and i will take bets from anyone that says it cant be done
    because i have done it, reply back and i will guide you through the process
  9. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

Very interested in your formula for calcium chloride.
  10. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

The chicken or the egg

Cal. Vs. Mag. First of all, it sounds like you are getting some really good advice from everyone. You can also check out a web site called Peters Chemical and print out one page sheets for sodium, mag, cal, potassium, etc. that explains the good and bad of each product.

Depending on what type of pavement, stones, concrete, etc you are treating, and the temperature range you are looking for, they all have their place.

And for the the -60 solution, you go boy. Sounds great.

Mag. and Cal. will both be exothermic products meaning the release short term heat when they come in contact with water/snow.

Good luck.
  11. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

Deicepro: Can you sernd me your formula for the calicum-cloride solution Deershack @aol.com
  12. slot

slot Junior Member
    from Ontario

Multi Chloride Brines are the way to go.

If you have a tank, then multi-chloride brines are extremely inexpensive in Ontario. Particularly if the tank can hold a truck load which is about 30,000 liters. Even if you have a smaller tank like 15,000 liters.

These brines are pumped out of natural wells near Sarnia. The MTO has approved these brines for use on Ontario highways and they are used by contractors on most of the major highways like the 401.

The freeze points are in the -30 C range, so there is absolutely no problem in SW Ontario.

I would not bother with gimicky additives that are high on marketing and low on performance.

If you want to buy in a tote this will drive your cost up as a tote alone will cost you $150 empty.

Bulk orders can be as low as 10 cents per liter.

Take a look at www.denmarbrines.com