1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help! Looking to rent skid steers for winter

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by A.M. Landscape, Oct 23, 2014.

1. A.M. Landscape

A.M. Landscape Junior Member

Hey guys,
    This is my first post on the site... i think. We are based in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago and we are looking to rent 2 or 4 skid steers for the winter months. Rental places are expensive and i had a deal with a local nursery to lease their machines that just fell through. Does anyone here rent machines for the winter?? And if so, whats the best way to go about this. I am nervous that i don't have anything locked down yet. Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Try the local heavy equipment dealers

3. A.M. Landscape

Yea, i know the equipment dealers are an option, they are just priced much higher than the deal that i had worked out with the nursery. What is a fair monthly rate?? Maybe my deal was too good to be true... i was going to pay $1200.00 per month per machine.

4. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

How much is the rental place charging? If you are nervous now just wait till you call them back and they dont have any to rent.

5. A.M. Landscape

I am seeing between $2,500-$3000 per machine per month... I'm just looking for more options if there are any. I feel like I'd pay less per month if i bought one.

And yes, i don't want to get to the point where i can no longer reserve machines at the rental places. Any help or ideas are appreciated. Does everyone here who utilizes machines for snow own them?

6. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Seems a little late to be looking for rental machines for the winter. I would lock down whatever you could find at this point.

7. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

If things were perfect when should you be starting to lock it down by?

8. A.M. Landscape

Thanks for the input guys. I think i have changed courses now and I am now thinking about buying a new New Holland L223. Seems more economical with 0% for 60 months. What are your thoughts on this machine for a 2 acre office complex, 1 story about 40 doors with no place to pile snow except the north side of the lot. i want to put a 10' pusher on it and have just this machine service the site, with shovelers of course. Thoughts on the machine or application?

Thanks in advance for advice!

9. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Find guys who own their own machines and have them operate your boxes. 2nd call I made today, I got a guy with a 3 Yd loader to sub on with me for an extra 12 aces we just got. Paying him hourly, nothing to loose if we don't get snow.

10. A.M. Landscape

Thanks dieselss, that is something i am considering. Especially because buying the new holland only gets me one of the machines i need (one of my properties wont allow subs). Where do you find subs with equipment? I havent been thrilled with subs in their own trucks in the past.

11. A.M. Landscape

Sorry i meant thanks Maclawnco

12. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

There is a section on this site where you can post wanted ads for employees and subs.

Also could try craigslist if you get desperate.

13. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Call excavating companies. Keep your eyes open to see who is working in your areas. l have a few more that push for us. If the first few you call don't want to, be sure to ask if they know who would. Keep calling their friends until one will.

14. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

2500-3000 for a skid rental? That is stupid. You can probably get a loader/back hoe with a pusher for $2200 and that will do three times what a skid will do

15. hardwoodcd

hardwoodcd Senior Member

skid steer for 2 acres seems a bit overkill to me

16. A.M. Landscape

hardwoodcd, i agree it is overkill if it were wide open, but all of the snow has to go to north end of the lot, there are 2 buildings with loading docks in the middle. Sidewalks all the way around both buildings. What would you put out there?

17. A.M. Landscape

Keep in mind, I do landscape construction, so my decision to purchase this new skid steer is not entirely based around this 2 acre lot.

18. A.M. Landscape

Maclawnco
    What is a fair rate to pay a sub with 3yd loader?

19. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

If you can make use of it in the summer then I'd say buy you're own. Maybe the dealership you buy it from has rentals and they would cut you a deal on renting a few additional machines.

20. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Go hit up an equipment finance co like John Deere Credit, or Caterpillar, and buy one new and 3 used. Come summer, lease the 2 or 3 used out to whoever can pay up front and leave a security deposit. Must be landscapers out there who can cover your note on them through the summer?