1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help learning the business

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Neariah, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Neariah

Neariah Junior Member
    from MD

I’m hoping you guys can help me out. I’ve recently been asked to learn how to push snow by a few of the property managers we work for. Currently, I own nothing….

No truck
    No plow
    No snow shovel
    I mean nothing…

With that being said I’m really nervous, and in need of some quick help, because these same managers would like me to price out my services. I know that pricing is not something that can be spit out like a sunflower seed, but given my circumstances I was going to price the services from what I hear the national average is 100 -125 bucks.
    What I would like to find out from anyone here is what equipment to get?
    Does anyone have a standard offering of services I can possibly throw together ( a step by step procedure of how to)
    And is there any other thing I would need to know that I am not asking?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Have a big roll of TP with you. When that first snow falls your going to need it!

How much do you want to keep the summer work there? I think you will be overwhelmed trying to do that place if you never plowed before.
  3. Neariah

Neariah Junior Member
    from MD

I would like to keep it alot :)
    That's why im seeking advice now.
  4. outsideimage

outsideimage Junior Member

I'd suggest finding another company to do the snow removal then subbing the work to them. That way you keep the client and can maybe make a few bucks of them without doing the work.
  5. Neariah

Neariah Junior Member
    from MD

So what about you grandview do you have a certain service you offer?
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

As to what?
  7. Neariah

Neariah Junior Member
    from MD

Apologies, I must have been setting my response to you up while you were posting back to me.

I honestly don't have a problem subcontracting the work to another company, but I get this funny feeling... Its almost like everytime I try to bring someone in, they start asking a million questions as if they're going to do some backstabbing. It could just be me.
  8. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

you have alot to consider...first and foremost...insurance, secondly is it worth it for the extra equipment you need, do you have the $$$ to outlay for that equip, and do you have a back up plan for when the $%$^& hits the fan (either by mother nature or equipment breakdown). you can sub it out but make sure you have a no compete clause so you don't get back stabbed.... but consider this . .is the million questions that are asked... are they legitimate questions that because you never did this ... you feel threatened, or something else.... do plenty of homework and as my grandmother use to say don't bite off more than you can chew
  9. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Sounds like a great idea!!! You should call U know who and see if that would work for them:)
  10. Neariah

Neariah Junior Member
    from MD

Well we know two guys that have trucks and experience now. One started last year, and the other company I have faith in, but never used them for anything. I think i may give them a call next month to see if they're willing to take it on. A lot of guys around here are already stacked for the snow season. Thus he re saint why I feel its important to learn everything I can now.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  11. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

You can learn a bunch from this site alone, there is a ton of info here, use the search function and read read and read some more.
  12. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

How large of a place are we talking?
  13. 05duramaxdd

05duramaxdd Junior Member
    from 17331

What part of md? I now have 2 plow trucks and would possibly be intrested!
  14. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Couple suggestions:
    Join SIMA & ask for a "Buddy"
    Search on here theres a ton of info
    Buy John Allins book, it has way more info in it than the $ 30 you'll have into it.

While a couple of my suggestions will cost you money up front, the money you could loose (or leave on the table), depending on your market, will FAR exceed that amount. For me, I'm always learning, trying new things, etc.