1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help installing E series Hide-A-Ways

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Chandlerarms, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Chandlerarms

Chandlerarms Senior Member

I just received the strobesNmore E series Hide-A-Way kit along with the SHO-ME switch (11.1002GSM). I have a few questions regarding how to properly wire it. I am always nervous when trying to do wireing, and I am always second guessing myself, :confused: so:

1. FIrst off, does the fuse on the switch come off in the event of a "trip"? Seems not too.

Do I have the diagram correct?

STROBE TO SWITCH

RED(power wire)-----------------RED(positive output - long wire)
    YELLOW(synch) *
    BLUE(flash pattern)------------WHITE(ground output)
    BLACK(GROUD)**

SWITCH TO BATTERY

RED(fuse to 12v power source - short wire)-----------Positive (+)battery terminal***

SWITCH

BLACK(ground)****

* I assume I do not need to attach anything to the YELLOW unless I add more LED's
    ** Where do I attach it to? Anywhere on the frame?
    *** Do I need to add wire? THis looks to short to reach the battery? If so, what gauge?
    **** Where should I ground this wire? Anywhere on the frame? It is very short. Can I ground it somewhere in the cab?

2. On the STROBE diagram there is a cable from the negative(-) battery terminal to ground. Where should I ground it?

3. Do I need to "peal" the strobe cable end (with the 4 cables ) so that each wire can go where needed, or should I have the switch cable go to the STROBE cable? Nope that makes sense?

4. As mentioned, do I need to add wire to reach the ends of the STROBE cable? It so, what size?

5. Should I sue "loom" to protect the cables in the engine compartment?

6. Am I missing any more parts/tools to do the job right?

Any pics would greatly be appreciated!

:salute:

2. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

* I assume I do not need to attach anything to the YELLOW unless I add more LED's

correct...thats for syncing more sets

** Where do I attach it to? Anywhere on the frame?

Eh, frame is bit aggressive, find a ground wire or run a sheet metal screw in somewhere easy and attacj to that. Verify ground with a test light..

*** Do I need to add wire? THis looks to short to reach the battery? If so, what gauge?

Honestly they pull VERY little amps...you can use this metal thing i use to add into a fuse in fuse box or go to any power source near by...(cig lighter, etc) Any red wire is fine..20g or larger

**** Where should I ground this wire? Anywhere on the frame? It is very short. Can I ground it somewhere in the cab?

see above...ground anywhere is easy....very little current..

2. On the STROBE diagram there is a cable from the negative(-) battery terminal to ground. Where should I ground it?

HUH?...your truck already has that wire factory

3. Do I need to "peal" the strobe cable end (with the 4 cables ) so that each wire can go where needed, or should I have the switch cable go to the STROBE cable?
    Nope that makes sense?

switch has to go to strobe to turn em on...peel if you like...your call...really all you need is a 2 conductor (red/black) for the strobes to get to your switch outputs...then share switch ground and strobe ground together..

4. As mentioned, do I need to add wire to reach the ends of the STROBE cable? It so, what size?

really depends on your install....I HOPE the kit is already long enough...BOOOOO if it isn't..

5. Should I sue "loom" to protect the cables in the engine compartment?

[I]You can sue her if ya want but lawyers are costly.......use loom if ya like...nice touch...not needed. [/I]

6. Am I missing any more parts/tools to do the job right?

maybe just some field time or experience .....call me if ya need help...i am here for you guys 24/7

3. Chandlerarms

Thanks Dissociative. I think I kind of understand now. I was under the impression that the RED (power wire) connects directly to the battery terminal (+), but if I understand it, the entire strobe cable will run into the cab and connect the wires to the switch- ie everything happens in the cab correct? I just need to find a RED wire (like for the cig. Lighter) and splice it for power right?

What is the "metal thing" you were referring to?

4. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

I believe the metal thing he is referring to is a Piece which goes on the blade of a fuse to allow you to go to a 12v source directly in the fuse box? Sold at most parts stores

5. Chandlerarms

Thanks. Do you know what it's called?

6. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

Its a fuse tap if this is what he is referring to.

7. Chandlerarms

Thanks. I think it's now all starting to make sense.......I think. Now I just need my truck back with the new plow from the dealer!

8. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

ebay has em or auto parts store has em......pull fuse...attach wire...put back..

if ya have trouble just splice a hot wire....cig lighter works well.