1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help in plow selection

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jwalker13, Feb 13, 2014.

1. jwalker13

jwalker13 Junior Member
    from Ct

Hey guys, so i have a 2010 ford f250 super cab 6 3/4 bed with FGAWR of 4800 i believe and i could use a hand trying to figure out which plow is best for my truck. Ive been pricing out Boss plowing have gone to the dealer already and they gave me 4 options and just trying to figure out which is the best. 8' straight, 8' straight with trip edge, 8.6 straight and 8.2 vxt any input is greatly appreciate thanks!
  2. Polarismalibu

Polarismalibu PlowSite Fanatic

I personally like the expandable plows best. We have westerns mvp's and a wideout and I can out do the 9'6 v with wings on it using the wideout.

If your sold on boss I would go with the v and maybe get the wings for it
  3. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Keep one thing in mind in selecting your equipment: The more parts there are on a plow, the more parts there are to BREAK.
  4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Right on....
  5. SnowHill11

SnowHill11 Senior Member

Dealer support is the number one, everyone on the market right now has something decent and they all have an area they excel in. I have a 2002 F-250 reg cab ling bed and just put a Meyer SV2 8'6" plow on it this fall. Mine had the 4400 lb front end and I ended up having to put heavy duty springs in it. Not that hard to do or all that expensive but def. something to consider. For me the cost difference between a straight and V when going new made it worth it to buy the V. If you're not sure its gives you a ton more options and probably better resale value. The expanding plows are great if you're doing larger areas, they loose their advantage on residential driveways. I will probably add one next as I take on more commercial. I would get the widest plow you can afford that the manufacturer will let you put on your truck. I have almost never wished my plow was narrower (one tight drive through but I still fit, just have to be careful) but have often wished I could make it wider and will probably add wings in the future. The truck can easily handle the 8'2" V or the 8'6" straight and if you replace the springs I would run the 9'2" V on it.
  6. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

I would also take a look at which brand has the best service and support in your area. I originally wanted a V or an expandable, but there are just more things to break in the middle of the night and I wouldn't hang an expandable plow on the front of an F-250....personally.
  7. buttaluv

buttaluv Member

I have to agree with the moving parts, I had a boss v, good efficient plow, but too many parts and don't like the plug connection( I know...picky picky) I now have a Blizzard S.W....good plow, but the dealer cutting edge..$440.00, already bought one of their 150.00 cables that operate the wings....etc... I think for my operation, mainly commercial lots, a straight blade with a set of ad on wings would work just fine
  8. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

A the only part a V plow has that a straight blade doesn't is the hinge. A 1" steel rod doesn't malfunction much.
  9. Polarismalibu

Polarismalibu PlowSite Fanatic

My f250 hold my wideout just as good as our old 8'6 straight blade
  10. ffmedjoe

ffmedjoe Junior Member
    from WI

Like other people are saying, go with the best support in your area. I lived in Milwaukee where douglas dynamics is based and there were a lot of western, fisher and blizzard. I've had plows from various venders. I like the western in straight blade, boss in a V and the blizzard in a wide out. I got a western because i had a friend that worked for douglas..... cheap parts. I switched to a blizzard and didn't care for it too much. I had it on a 99 Chevy K2500 and I thought it was too heavy for the truck. Also, it was with in the first 2 years it came out so I was constantly in the shop. I recently switched back to western for a couple reasons. 1. You can pick them up all the time on craigslist for cheap
    2. My local dealer carries a ton of parts.
    3. Parts are cheap.
    Just remember, ALL PLOWS BREAK!!! Doesn't matter how much or how little you spend. You will break something, just make sure you don't have to drive more than an hour to get parts.
  11. jasonv

from kannada

You're forgetting about the sh1t ton more hydraulics.
  12. SnowHill11

SnowHill11 Senior Member

Actually, a V uses the same hydraulics, one ram on each side to control the wing, the only difference is the valving to operate them independently or simultaneously. Def. not much more to have an issue with and a lot more options when moving the snow. I definitely wouldn't be afraid of "more moving parts", get the plow that will allow you to be the most efficient and go make some money! That's the whole purpose of innovation anyway, to make our job easier and faster.
  13. jasonv

from kannada

Double acting hydraulics, twice as many hoses, many more valves. That is a SH1T TON more hydraulics to mess up.
  14. SnowHill11

SnowHill11 Senior Member

I suppose twice as many valves and hoses is a lot more, but then again hydraulic angle is infinitely more hydraulics than manual angle. Do you still use a manual angle blade? or maybe just a fixed straight blade? Simplicity is always good, but avoiding improvements because of the # of parts is closed minded at least and unwise in many applications. If you can design a way to have the scoop, V,, and straight functions with less hydraulics I'm all ears, otherwise I will say that my new V out performs my straight blade every time and I'll gladly pay for the increase in parts with my increased production. However, if you are doing only residential drives and never have more than a foot of snow, a straight blade will probably do everything you need and save you a few dollars up front. Make sure to let us know and post pictures of whatever you decide on!
  15. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

100% wrong.

Boss V plows don't have double acting hydraulics.

Same 2 rams as the straight blade Thumbs Up

The controller does have 2 additional buttons :eek::eek:
  16. Snow tracker

Snow tracker Senior Member

Jwalker. You will get as many opinions about what type of plow to get as there are people on this site. In my area Boss is king. I have a 08 ford with a 9'2" boss VXT. You will be more productive with a V. You can stack snow higher and conform to any shape of the banks. I have run Boss for 15 years or more and they don't break much. My two cents is add springs to the front and go with a 9'2" Boss on that 2010 ford and you have a winning team.
  17. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

with a FGAWR of only 4800, i would probably go with a straight blade. While I love V plows, personally i wouldnt hang one off the front end of a 250, let alone one with a FGAWR of only 4800 pounds
  18. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member