1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help in Finding the Right Equipment

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by oatc, Sep 4, 2008.

1. oatc

oatc Junior Member
    from Midwest

Hi,

I'm new to snow removal and need some help in picking out the right equipment for my crew. I work for a property management company that has decided to do their all their own snow removal. Last year one of our smaller properties did a trial and the workers complanied that they had a hard time with our 3500 Dually and a 9 foot blade and spreader. Now we will be doing two much larger shopping center parking lots. We're located in the Chicago Suburbs. Our guys do not have CDL's so

Any info on recommended trucks, plows, and spreaders would be greatly appreciated.

- Would it be good to get one large truck for moving mass and one smaller one to clean around cars?

Thanks!

2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Wow . . . . . . I dont see this going well :rolleyes:

3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Without knowing the sites (sizes, layouts, service expectations, etc) it is IMPOSSIBLE to give you a equipment list, etc. This is why you pay contractors for there PROFESSIONAL EXPERTISE in doing this, if the place you work for is set on doing this I would advise the to bring in a consultant to help. If they had thought ahead the could've watched what the contractors the had before were using & it would've helped. SIMA has lots of training programs, prodution numbers, etc avaliable for members, it would probably be $ 170 well spent.

4. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Thats one big question. You came to the right place, but you will have to do some homework before we can help.
    The first question on most of our minds will be WHY? Now that I got that of my chest this is what we need.
    How many sq feet surface to be cleared? Broken down by property
    What is the average snow per year?
    What is the average events per year?
    Do you get ice events? If you do, how many?
    Are there sidewalks? How many sq. ft. Are there loading docks?
    What equipment do you have now? List all.
    Is there room to push snow? Will you have to stack the snow? Will you have to transport the snow?
    Are there allot of obstacles on the lots?
    How close are the properties from each other?
    Are your guys experienced in clearing snow?
    I am sure there are more, but its a start.
    The SIMA tip was great advice

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

First year plowing and you jump in head first. You need to do some research on this site and by talking to contractors in your rea. Good Luck this year.

6. Neige

Neige Sponsor

It happens so often, someone new comes on and asks the million dollar question. We ask some simple questions, and they disappear:confused:

7. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

With all your equipment and experience, you actually have disapointed me as you forgot to ask the single most important question of them all...

What direction are all the parking stalls facing?

8. JohnnyRoyale

I'm subscibing to this one for the entertainment value.

9. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Where's iceyman??? He certainly knows all the formulas..........I bet he knows stuff about trucks too. xysport

10. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

im gonna listen in... im trying to learn about how to plow snow too.... lol

11. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

lmao......i say just get a couple a 4X4 quads with 48" blades and 150lb salt spreaders.....should do the job fine:jester:

i would like to talk to the guys who plowed with a 3500 dually.... what problems did he have.... to plow snow push the down button on the controller and make sure the truck is in drive,,, then go full throttle:nod:

:rolleyes:

EDIT: i am now an addict..... i dont know if its a good or bad thing

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Genius!!! You are the man!! :cool:

13. elite1msmith

from chicago

let me try to break down your questions

- your welcome

my biggest advise, hire a snow professional , one that has lots of experience... in all types of equiptment.... even if it is a contractor, that you make a deal with ...to "run " your snow operation , and get you set up properly with the tools, equptment, knowlege, and PLOW DRIVERS, not just joe worker bee , driving a truck

i would think a small fee of around $10,000 might get a few heads turned as a part time, job, getting you set up, then next year you could take over... i can tell by the questions you asked your experiance is almost ZERO, ... just remember, if a slip occurs, its on your company, and y wasnt the job done properly.... i know who will be the first to get fired:help:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  14. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I know me and most the other guys on the form read this book when we first started, really covers the basics.

wiggily-snowplow-718071.jpg

15. elite1msmith

from chicago

hahahahahha, OMG i needed that- thanks...hahaha

16. elite1msmith

from chicago

well i guess he didnt need the help after all?

17. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I just looked him up, he never logged on again to check. What a waste of time.:mad:

18. JohnnyRoyale

Maybe he's still measuring his lots.

19. elite1msmith

from chicago

is he using a yar stick? or a tape measure?

20. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Probabily a wooden ruler he got from his mommy........lol