1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help if in trouble

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bcngtr, Dec 27, 2000.

1. bcngtr

bcngtr Junior Member

I'm in Central NJ(Manalapan). I have 1 plow truck and I'm just starting this season. Is there anyone in the vicinity that could help in a time of need, ie. truck/plow breaks? I would be willing to return the same. Thanks

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

These types of relationships(help for help )usually develope over time and with trust,Im not saying its not possible to swap with someone here,its just not as likely to work out long term this way,Good luck finding a friend to back you up,there's a lot of good guys here.

3. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

We have over 20 accounts on 1 truck! We have formed a relationship with exavating companys and people who do plowing only, we have these as backups for breakdowns ect. They also use us for same reasons, since we are a grounds maintenance company I did not want to be set up with other companys in my field so we opted for the above and works out great. I suggest you pick up the Yellow pages look under snow removal and start calling. Set up an appointment to meet with them to look at their equipment and refrences. I would steer clear of working with competers in same field it can cause more headaches then you can imagine, also exavating companys plow alot chat with them. Its not to late to form a relationship with one of those companys and we also refer them to a customer for added business and they return the favor.

4. crash22201

crash22201 Junior Member

I'M IN NJ. AROUND HERE ME AND MY FREINDS ALWAYS HELP
    EACHOTHER. ESPECIALY IF SOME ONE BREAKS DOWN.
    LIKE IF SOMEONE IS BROKE AND CAN'T GET IT FIXED.
    WE ALL HELP EACHOTHER.

LOOK FOR SOMEONE LOCAL TO YOU WITH A PLOW. AND ASK
    THEM THAT IF YOU BREAK DOWN IF THEY WOULD HELP U OUT.

5. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Plenty of part time plowers with regular jobs that are looking for work. I talk to everybody I see with a plow in their driveway in my area to find out their deal, and I also talk to all of my local landscape competitors and a few of us are friendly & wouldn't hesitate to help each other. I have a couple of friends who may trade services, but the majority of the connections I make are with the intention of hiring them as subcontractors should the need arise. You may want to look at it from that angle until you can build the type of relationship where you'd be trading services like John said. Its better to get your customers serviced & keep them even if it costs you a little to get them plowed. I've had experiences like Robert mentions with complete strangers also, so it is possible to get help in a pinch.