1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help hookin up my plow.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by birddseedd, Oct 5, 2010.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

i thought it hooked up when i bought it. come to find out the undercarriage isent even for that plow.

the hinge that hooks from the plow to the undercarriage doesent match up, i can change that just fine, few peices of angel iron and smaller pins.

im going to have to mod the undercarriage a bit to fit it to the frame. im not 100 percent sure how to hook up the pump, either hooked to the undercarriage, perhaps that and hook to the tow hook bar.

i can get pics next time, i guess my first question is when mounting the undercarriage, what height should the part where the plow hooks to the undercarriage be from the ground?

2. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

What brand? Pictures would be very helpful.

3. birddseedd

sorry, forgot. western plow.

im not sure if its unimount, or ultramount, or whatever. there are 2 3ish inch pipes comming straight out.

depending on what height the plow needs to be off the ground i can use the pipes to mount the pump and lights. but to hook it up to the frame the way it is now ill have to cut off the pipes.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you have a Western plow and a Meyer EZ-Classic undercarriage. That definitely isn't gonna work too well....

5. birddseedd

ya, my uncle mentioned meyer.

6. birddseedd

i can take the hinges in either the undercarriage or the plow, move them, and get a different pin and the plow itself will hook up. though i havent quite figured out how to hook up the pump and lights. at the moment they are mounted to a pumper, i can either mount the whole bumper to the undercarriage, or cut off hte bumper part.

7. birddseedd

the pipes would work great for holding the pump and lights (the part that the chain hooks into and lifts the plow, whatever its called). but that depends on if i can mount hte undercarriage low enough for the pipes to clear the truck bumper

8. birddseedd

or i could cut off the pipes, and mount them at the very bottom of the undercarriage, but i dono if it would give enough clearance for the plow itself.

9. birddseedd

so my first qustion is how far off the ground should the rear of the plow be, where it hinges to the undercarriage.

though i should probably get it up as high as i can as i dont have the strongest suspension

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Whatever it takes to make the A-frame parallel to the ground, the actual measurement doesn't matter.

11. birddseedd

ok. well. how can you tell how much the suspension is going to lower when its installed?

12. birddseedd

western plow,
    meyer undercarriage, (suposevly for a 91 dodge
    94 dodge

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It won't lower any when the plows on the ground, and that's the only time it matters that the A-frame is parallel to it. ;)

14. birddseedd

the front of the a frame is mounted about 3 inches up the blade (from the lowest point of the aframe, not the actual mount points.

for the rear of the aframe to be level it would be 3 inches off of the ground, this seems a little low?

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the front of the A-frame is only three inches from the ground somethings majority wrong with the plow. Pics...pics...we need pics.

16. birddseedd

be back in a sec, ill see what i can get.

17. birddseedd

[​IMG]

The bottom arrow points the the bottom edge of the plow
    the top arrow points to the bottom of the a frame

there is about 5 inches between the 2 points

18. birddseedd

oh, and the cup stayed on the tail gait with an inch of water. down the highway and all.

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's nothing wrong with it, your estimates were just skewed. Just make the A-frame parallel to the ground.

20. birddseedd

so having the undercarriage 5 inches off the ground isent going to be a problem? that seems a little low.

when i lift the plow i know the truck has got to lower at least 5 inches.

(btw, i have a tortion bar suspension, i hope some time in the winter to get assisted shocks with small springs on them)