1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help here guys!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BEER TIME, Mar 9, 2010.

BEER TIME Member

Well heres the story. I have a 99 chevy 1/2 ton with a 4.8, 4x4. I've been looking for a boss V for sometime now with no luck. I found a 8.2 boss v with ford mounts, its a 1998 for $1500.00, It has a new cutting edge and everything seams functional. Would this or can this work on my truck? Is the plow worth this? Should I buy the plow and buy a junker to put it on? If it can work on my truck what modifications do I need. I know its alot of questions but I really need your help. Thanks alot!
  2. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

I wouldn't! And if you buy a junker, what happens when it breaks down? One thread guys are worrying about putting a 7 ft lightweight plow on a 2500HD, and the next thread an8.2 V on a 1/2 ton with a small V8. Guess I'm frustrated too. Didn't mean to take it out on you, BEER TIME. But I think it has to be 5:00 somewhere.

BEER TIME Member

oh its been 5 o'clock here for sometime now. Its just that its nearly impossible to find a 7.6 V used around here. I'm basically just using it to do my driveway that is 1500ft long and bust out of the gravel road thats a mile to the tar road. Any thoughts on this, i really dont want to burn out my tranny. I think its a maybe if i put in front suspension and a tranny cooler. Any thoughts guys while i finish a cold another cold one??
  4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Wrong truck my friend. That plow is heavy 3/4 ton serious.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Being a '98 model year plow is it an RT2 or RT3? You'll want to find that out before you do anything as RT2 mounts for 99-02 GM 1500's are extremely tough to find.

And if it is an RT2 no I wouldn't install it on a '99 1500. Too much plow for the truck.

BEER TIME Member

ok worst case, cant i get a mount from a dealership for any plow for any truck? I have 3 differant trucks, a 79 jack up jeep cherokee with a 360, a 2005 ford expedition. Sorry for the questions just weighting my options here. I have a lot of stuff just not the right equipment! And I'm not in the right situation to buy a new 2500, f250 or what have ya.

Thanks Again guys!!
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nope, depends on what you have and what you're trying to hang it on. Common mistake many make and can end up causing much extra and unplanned grief as well as costs.
  8. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

714 lbs for the 7'6'' V and
    765 lbs for the 8'2'' V,
    plus * Plow weight does not include mount weight. Vehicle mount weight range: 75-105 lbs

that is to much weight for a 1/2 ton with the small V8

Do you need a V blade?

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

If you are ONLY going to do your driveway and not drive around town with it on you would be fine. But if B&B says the mount is hard to find you better heed the warning unless you can fab your own.,

BEER TIME Member

Its an RT2. the mount is off a 2005 F250 and he fabricated it to fit a 2001 F250. Is $1500 a good price. if so there are acouple ;250 for sale in my area. ones a 92 and the others a 88 dually both have 460 gas. would any of these trucks work and if so which one would you go with? thanks again
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

First, if it's an RT2 then it's heavier than the published weight specs of todays plows because they (RT2's) were heavier so thats an additional strike there. And second, there were no RT2 mounts for for an '05 Ford Super duty so somewhere along the lines your signals are crossed. And third, an F250 mount doesn't just fit any year F250, it has to be for the same BODY style, ie '99-04, '92-'97 etc. The plow might be worth $1500 but you need to decide for sure what you intend to install it on and what exactly you're working with so you're sure the correct mount is available then go from there.
  12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Go buy a plow/truck combo for $1500 and don't put tags on it if it's ONLY for your driveway.
  13. jryden145

jryden145 Member

I have a rt3 7.5 boss v plow possibly for sale. You will need to find a mount but if ur interested make me an offer probably an 05 or 06 model year plow.