1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help Here FAST.

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by thomas_e102, Jan 12, 2010.

1. thomas_e102

thomas_e102 Member

I have a close friend of mine that just called saying he needs a old jewel food store cleared so a truck can get in and unload a man lift. The lot has not been cleaned all winter and I have not seen it yet. I have about a 45 min drive to get there and they need it done by 8 am the next day. So like I said he is a friend. He is going there to do work for the new owner. I guess I should find out who is paying for it 1st? Question is what should I charge? It sounds like thay need it open from the front street to the back dock doors.

Thanks Chris

2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

A jewel that hasnt been plowed all winter??? Better bring a skid with a straight bucket, a plow isnt going to do anything.

The Jewels that I plow are zero tolerance, how the heck did this one not get plowed???

3. thomas_e102

thomas_e102 Member

The jewel store closed and reopened at a other location. Store sold back in Nov now they need to work on it for the new owner. Thats what I was told. I just need to make a path for the trucks to get in and out.

4. stroker79

Oh ok. I would ask for at least $70 an hour figuring your in your truck plowing. It shouldnt take you that long, maybe an hour to make everything look nice.

5. rodbuilder

rodbuilder Junior Member

If ya' can't make an HONEST $100 with a plow truck yopu're bidding the kob the worng way. last year I had a residential driveway job that I made OVER $400 an hour on!!! I got $150 and was there about 15-20 minutes!

REALLY!!!

As far as the "friend" thing goes, this is pure business and like I heard one time: "A friend in need is a pain in the ass."!!!!!!

Treat the job as your BUSINESS and you'll get along a LOT better.

6. thomas_e102

thomas_e102 Member

That sounds good I was thinking about 60hr. We are not that for off. Would you charge for drive time to the location and back? Also spoke with my friend and he said that he is going to have the new owner pay for it. So what now do you think?

7. stroker79

well he is going to make money off you but as a sub you dont charge for travel to and from a job. Maybe since he is your friend and your bailing him out of this situation he will give you an extra hour for your effort.

8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You charge him from the minute you leave your place! Just decide how much you want to do the job before you do it. I would charge $175.00 if you have 45 min drive to and from. Also I would get the money from the friend and have him bill the owner, or talk to the owner first before plowing.

9. thomas_e102

thomas_e102 Member

Thanks Doug, I am all new to this plow stuff . Thanks again for all the help.

10. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

really now? how do you expect people to believe that

11. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Tell hime you will need x amount to drive there, and then xx amount per hour while you are plowing. That way, if it takes you only 15 mins to plow it, you didn't just waste a lot of gas and make nothing. For instance, I figure $80/hr to do stuff like that. So, figure for me around $50-60 to drive there, and then a minimum of $40 to plow up to a half hour. So you are getting paid around $100 as a minimum. That sounds fair to me. You should be able to clear enough off of that $100 and make it worth your while if it takes you a half hour or less.