1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help guys! Fuel pump issue????

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jmcamille, Nov 21, 2008.

1. jmcamille

jmcamille Junior Member

Hey guys... I just bought a 1997 3500 5.9l diesel as a no start. Seems like its not getting fuel... Whats a test I can do to check for fuel? Also, I know there is a fuel injection pump... Where is the fuel pump? Is it in tank or on side of motor? I just got the truck this morning so I really havent had a chance to look at it. Its cold out and I just got in from salting all night!!

Anybody with some input that can help me out would be GREAT!!!

2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i don't know much about the 12 valves but you can open your fuel filter resevoir and see if it has any fuel in it. If it has fuel in it what i would do is have someone crank over the truck while you crack an injector line that goes into the head. If you have fuel at your filter housing but no fuel wizzing out of the injector line i would say the injector pump has problems. Does the truck leak any fuel? you may just have a rusted out fuel line and your sucking air. Good luck:salute:

p.s just don't spray any starting fluid in it

3. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

No smoke out the exhaust means no fuel to the engine, Not sure if the P7100 uses a lift/transfer pump or not, if it does that would be the first item to check. 2ND the 'No Starting Fluid' suggestion, I will come down there and break all your fingers off if you use that (LOL)!!! Seriously it's the wrost thing you can do to the engine when trying to start it.

4. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

No the finger thing would be the least of his issues. The arm and leg of replacing the engine will really hurt!!!

Crack the line at an injector and see if you have any fuel. If not work backwards towards the rear of the truck. More than likely the lift pump want out causing the injector pump to gernade. Good luck.

DAFF

5. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

the 12 valves do have a lift pump that is mechanically driven off the motor. it should be below the injector pump. The injection system on those trucks are pretty reliable, id put my money on a bad fuel line :nod:

6. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

Change the fuel filter when your in there too, If you ran the truck out of fuel, you will need to bleed the transfer tubes to prime the system. Early dodges have notorius problems with bad fuel sending units. my 99 would run out of fuel at 3/4 tank before I changed it.

7. foyboy41

foyboy41 Member

fuel problem

hi guys i have a 97 12 valve and when the fuel shut -off celenoid goe's bad you will not get any where with all those helpfull tips they are located on the fire wall right above the steering collum that is where i would start but first go get yourself a good repair manual it could be about ten different things and they are notorious for faulty fuel guage's