1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help! Got No 4X4!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DareDog, Jan 4, 2009.

1. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

1996 chevy 1500 4X4 wont work in it. some times it will go in to 4X4 other times it wont any ides? :confused:

the Orange light on 4X4 just blinks but you can hear it go in to 4X4(hear the click noise)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  2. mautore

mautore Member

I'm not sure about a '96, but I have an 87 that had the same type problem. I was told from a chevy tech at a dealer that this sometimes becomes an issue because the truck uses a vacuum to shift into 4x4. A bad or leaky vacuum hose will allow for this, especially in cooler temps. Again, I'm not sure it's an issue on the '96's, but it's what I found to be the problem on my '87.

3. DareDog

Checked the net found it mite be the 2 plug 4wd actuator.

$83 at advance auto for one.

heres the one that was in the truck.

[​IMG]

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That is probably your problem

5. DareDog

i put it back in and it gose in 4wd now.

6. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Now you see how easy it is to replace I would replace it now and not get stuck with out 4x4 when you need it that will most likely fix your problem. :salute:

7. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Replace that actuator with a posi lock manual one. Works instantly and will not break down on you. Money better spent.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Banging it around taking it in and out probably has it working for a while. DJ's idea is good, Cooter's is better.
    http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/

I had one of these in my old 89 half ton. I need to put one in the 97. It is absolutely the best thing to put in your axle.

9. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

i was plowing snow banks back with my 90 2500 4x4 and ended up breaking the wires on my connector and the 4x4 stopped working. had to rewire them lost out on about $150 worth of work because of it happening.

10. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

The factory 4x4 uses a thermal actuator, which is the one in the pic. They use heat to actuate the pin which engages the 4x4. An easy field fix for this if it happens again is to take out the actuator and put a socket into the hole, then replace the unit. This will give you full time 4x4, just remember to take it out when you are done. The best fix for this is the cable actuated posi-lock as mentioned in an earlier post. I have had this same problem on my old '92 and went to the posi, def. a better and more reliable way to go.

11. tuna

tuna Senior Member

No need to take it out It does not give you full time 4x4 just keeps the axle locked.I did this with 2 lug nuts on my 92 1500 and left it locked for 3 years no problem.

12. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

oh ok i never got that far i just always took it out when i got home just to be safe..good to know though.

13. DareDog

its a sucker to get out though didnt have a wrench big enough ...pipe wrench time lol

14. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

vacuum / electric packed 4 wheeler , huh? get you every time. Cant beat manual

15. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

When inserting a socket or whatever in and reinstalling the actuator you are essentially locking in the hubs. You can still take it out of four wheel drive, the front shafts will still spin. Another nice thing about the posi lock unit is if need be you can shift the transfer case to 4 low without engaging the front axle.

16. DareDog

gunna buy a new one this week.

17. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

I did one today in my dodge, works great and it's either in or out. No vacuum to worry about. I just don't have the patience to be chasing down vacuum leaks at 2AM stuck in a snowbank anymore. Been there and done that Dec 19, 2008!

18. DareDog

Well it finally went quit in a snow bank.............got stuck and only had 2wd went to NAPA and got the part put it on and it works great now.

19. mohawkmike82

mohawkmike82 Junior Member

20. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Buy the updated actuator and wire harness from gm this is a known issue and gm came out with a revised set up .