1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help: GMC trouble

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by HEStufrthnnails, Dec 11, 2009.

1. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

I have 93' GMC 2500, 6.5 diesel Auto ( not sure if its the 4L60 or the 4L80). I have had the trans rebuilt less than a year ago. It's been working great but last night after a long days plowing I was backing up a drive doing great than just as if I hit ice it just stopped any suggestions or quick( cheap.Lol) troubleshooting solutions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.:eek:

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It only lost reverse...or forward and reverse both?

3. HEStufrthnnails

It lost just reverse.

4. WRIGHTWAY

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

I had a crack in the reverse apply piston in mine last year it was taking gear slowly
    It was also one year after rebuild

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Broken low/reverse band or broken reverse apply piston as Wright mentioned. The apply piston can be changed from the bottom without trans removal. But if the bands broke it will require trans removal and complete tear down.

For the instance where you actually lost it though my money is on the bands broke.

6. HEStufrthnnails

Hey thanks for the replies. I do appreciate it. One question though. If I lost a band would I have lost low as well as reverse?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You would lose compression braking in low but not the actual gear itself.

8. HEStufrthnnails

Thanks B&B, I've got to check with the guy who rebuild it to see if he'll back his work. I do have to check one other thing to see if it may be the prob . I let you know what I found out.