1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help getting started

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by maineguides, Dec 5, 2007.

1. maineguides

maineguides Junior Member

Hi all, I'm just getting started in the plowing business. I live in southern maine. I have a summer business and have needed a winter job and decided on snowplowing. I know I'm behind the curve this season but I figure I could pick up a few accounts this year and build on it next year. I'm having trouble deciding which plow to buy. I have a 2003 chevy 2500hd and am wondering if I should get a straight blade or pony up the money and buy the Vblade. I'm leaning towards fisher but If you guys reccomend something else I'm all ears. If I do go with a straight blade should I get a brand that offers wings? I dont think fisher offers them. I think I'm going to lean toward residental driveways but for the first few years I might try to do some sub work which could include some light commercial.
    Are there any plows you guys do or dont reccomend for that truck?

2. cog-1

cog-1 Senior Member

I like v-blades better, you can push more snow farther, like if there are places you can't push it to the side it will be a lot faster, just my opinion though.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For residential and light commercial, a straight blade will do you well. I'm in Central Maine and do private roads with an 8' straight on a 2500HD. Just don't get behind the storm. If you've got the money and just want a V plow, that's fine, too.
  4. maineguides

I think I'm going with the fisher etreme v. I checked into other brands and everyone seems to be within a couple hundred dollars and fisher has a lot of dealers around here so parts should be easier to get.

thanks for your replies.
  5. TEX

TEX Senior Member

whats an extream-v running? USD$$ id love to get one for my 06 cummins when i get back up there.
  6. maineguides

The cheapest I could find one was $4850 installed.
  7. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

Check out Blizzards line up I espically like there speed wings talk about getting widdddddde
  8. maineguides

We only have one dealer in southern Maine and he doesn't have much of an inventory. So I'm guessing the parts situation if I break down isn't very good either. Down the road I'll have quit a few accounts and when I break down I'll need parts and I'll need them quick. Part availability is just as important to me as the intial price and quailty of the plow.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
  9. TEX

TEX Senior Member

ill have to go with fisher for the simple fact thats it is and has been a Maine business built right here.

arnt the blizzards big $$$
  10. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i am running a 7.5 fisher on my reg cab and there have been times i wished the truck was smaller, even the plow was smaller.
    You might want to consider exactly how much resi you plan on doing and what it is like in your area as far as commercial. Bigger looks cool but can make for tight quarters when trying to fit the truck or plow in between things or trying to turn it around.
    just something to consider. the guy on here with the jeep is probably the sharpest cookie here doing resi.
  11. maineguides

I've been thinking about that. Thats another reason I'm leaning toward the V plow. The 8' 6" is only 7' 8" in the v position and 7' 3" in the scoop position.
    Theresa not much I can do about the lenght of my truck. I'm kinda stuck with that.
  12. maineguides

I called about prices today and the straight blades were more money then the fishers, They were almost as much as fishers v-blades.

I dont know how I forgot they were a maine business, but I did. Thanks for reminding me. I see tractor trailers loads all the time on the pike heading south.
  13. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

If you're in the Portland area there's a Boss dealer on Warren Ave. I've had three Boss V plows and few issues. When I did have a problem the dealership put me back on the road inside of 1/2 an hour.
  14. TEX

TEX Senior Member

ya ill prob get a fisher extream V for my dodge 2500 but it might not be until next year.:realmad:
  15. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I like Boss personally but in your area Fisher makes more sense because you can get parts anywhere. Its somewhat like that around here, but not as much so from what I've seen. Good Luck.