1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help getting started for winter

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by doomxz670, Sep 1, 2013.

1. doomxz670

doomxz670 Junior Member
    from 45459

I've been plowing the last few years just as a way to keep busy during the winter and never really made a whole lot of money as i don't really have any "customers" i'd just drive thru neighborhoods and find a job here or there. I have to plow 3 locations that are our business that is a detailing shop and used car lots which no one ever wants either on snowy days. I've got a 7'6 Boss Standard Duty thats basically new after 6 years. My question is how or where do i get started? Ive got a salt spreader i can get ahold of is spreading salt necessary? How would you go about setting up new customers? Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way im in Dayton Ohio. Thanks Again

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well you could try subcontracting through a plow company or just start up a company of your own

3. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

you can start with friends or family, let the word of mouth spread, then start talking to people you know, word spreads more, then place an ad, all of this after you get insured though.

4. doomxz670

doomxz670 Junior Member
    from 45459

we've got the insurance covered, as far as being a contractor vs own company what would the primary differences be? What the best way to advertise lettering a vehicle? signs? As spreading salt a big deal that alot of people want? how do most prefer pricing (by each storm or seasonal? Thanks

5. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

A lot of your questions have been asked and answered many times over. Put a few keywords in the search box and grab a coffee. Lots of reading available.