1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help from ford guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bulhead19@aol.c, Dec 14, 2011.

1. bulhead19@aol.c

bulhead19@aol.c Junior Member

Ok guys I have a 2003 F350 6.0L diesel which I recently bought. It has 110,00 miles on it, I recently had a updated new heads, head gasket, arp studs, new oil cooler, and glow plugs installed as well as a cleaning of turbos. All this was done about a month and change ago......just over a week ago I changed the motor oil, oil filter, fuel filter, cleaned air filter, and installed my 7'6 fisher plow. I noticed during cold mornings it has a hard time starting, i HAVE to plug it in to make start ok, it idles pretty rough at first and even sometimes when its warm and im sitting at a light it gets shaky and sometimes unresponsive and slugish...until the turbo kicks in and it picks up..

Now that you now a little bit about it heres what my situation was tonight....Im driving home the truck seemed like it was only firing on 7 cylinders instead of the 8, it then kicked back to normal after warm up and off and on, i wasnt sure if maybe the fuel was gelling or water, etc.. sometimes being how cold it is , it runs rough. so anyway im on the highway doin 65 and i notice it begins to decelerate, even when im on the throttle it continues to lose power and slow down. So as i pull over, and step on the brakes the trucks quits on me. It poors smoke out of the hood and tail pipe. I let it sit for a few minutes. I turn it over to start to make sure it does, it starts but it continues to poor smoke out of what looks to to be the turbo ( large housing in the back center toard the left behind fuel/oil filters). so anyways i get AAA to come get my ******* ass.

Now i did a little research and I think...and HOPE (its nothing motor internal!!!!) but I think I narrowed it down to being a bad injector or the turbo is smoked.. I know injectors make that loud clapping sound and mine makes that when you go to turn it over..and i know the powerstrokes are well known for their injector issues so...i really need help , the snow is approaching and this is my money maker!!! Please Help me out guys I'd really appreciate it!!
  2. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

You didn't mention an egr cleaning/replace/delete? Did you do anything to the egr? Sounds like one to me
  3. bulhead19@aol.c

oh yeah sorry i have the delete on there..egr delete.
  4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

My brother went thru 3 turbos on his 06 6.0L. I know it had something to do with the variable veins in the turbo. He also had the starting issue, Dealer had to remap something in the computer, helped a little but it was always still hard to start in cold weather. His had 60k on it when he sold it.

Unfortunately your problem sounds much worse since I don't remember ever saying anything about smoke from under the hood.
  5. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Damn. My uncle had Injectors go out on his 06. Not sure about your issue. Someone has more experience then me and will chime in. I has 2 7.3's. I'm not a 6.0man
  6. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

you will notice a rattle at idle before the turbo goes out (kinda like a torque convertor death rattle) if a turbo seal went it will smoke dark smoke

the 6.0s are known for firing on 7 cylinders on cold startup....they usually smooth out after a few minutes, sometimes they will kick on and off even when warmed up

what color is the smoke is the biggest question i guess
  7. bulhead19@aol.c

Well I did have my radio and heater blasting at the time, and it was 11pm so it was hard to tell what color the smoke was, but i want to say it was white/grey. And i did hear rattling, even at idle like i previously said, very shaky and rough idle, been noticeably rougher than usual, I figured it being due to the cold weather? and i noticed it was still running on 7 cylinders more than usual, when i first started to drive it last night. Now when i attempt to start it for 3 seconds, there is instantaneous smoke from way up in front of motor ( looks to be from housing of turbo), and some comes out of the tailpipe, and alot of smoke for them few secs! Thanks for the input guys I greatly appreciate it!
  8. LaytonTruck

LaytonTruck Junior Member

I have a 6.0 when I lost 2 injectors I had white/grey smoke coming out of the pipe Lost allot of power when this was going on. If the smoke has a sweet smell like Antifreeze I have heard the coolers under the manifold give way often. I am far from a diesel Mech I just have it towed to Ford and plan on a 2 thousand dollar bill seems like that is what it cost me every time it goes in the shop ; ) But when it running it pulls the trailer great up over the 11 thousand foot peaks
  9. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Injectors, have them tested.
  10. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

injectors or your air filter is bad, and im sure i will get heat for saying this but in an 01 duramax we though an injector went and we changed the air filter and it fixed the problem till we blew na injector
  11. bulhead19@aol.c

Just an update guys.. the problem, was 2 failed injectors, replaced them and she purs great!.. it runs much smother now, steadily through the rpms. Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it!!
  12. ERWbuilders

ERWbuilders Senior Member

I would double check if they changed your injectors.....Might want to check your wire harness to your FICM, The injector harnesses where they plug in rub on the valve covers resulting in a short where you loose however many injectors as wires rubbed through...IMO
    The wires also chafer and rub through along the valve covers as well