1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help for Helicopter pad

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by French frog, Jun 29, 2010.

1. French frog

French frog Junior Member

Hi .. I need some help .. Im looking for what kind of de icing agent I have to use for a helicopter pad.. Im currently tendering on two Hospitals and one has the pad...

Hope i can get some help for all of you..

Thanks

Froggy

2. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Kingston. Welcome
    :drinkup:
    Im west of you in Cobourg Ontario.

3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

It's a little surprising your client isn't specifying the product for you. I could suggest two granular products most airports approve to be used around aircraft.

NACC would be one....Peak SF would be the other. Both have rust inhibitors and are FAA approved.

Google is your friend for more learning and details on these...

Good luck to you.:salute:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  4. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I am very surprised that the heliports you speak of arent heated, the two in my area are so we never have an issue with ice or snow.

5. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I thought plow truck were not allowed to touch aircraft run ways and pads because the salt trace on the tires. But I guess I was wrong. Jim, if you could say the products on here because I am intrested in hearing too! Thanks

-A.J.

6. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

AJ...he did say the products..Look at the red ink

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Hot sand,like they use on airport runways.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

9. French frog

Thanks guys.. much appericated..

Well I guess we will put in the tender and cross our or should say my fingers....

10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Mine too....:salute:

My thought was if he has only one simple pad to treat ~ purchasing, handling, storing and applying a small quantity of 55lb bags might make life easier for him.

11. French frog

Jd dave

Hi.. JD.. I was wondering if you would have the number for the Depot that carries Croytech

Thanks

12. leon

leon Senior Member

helipad etc.

========================================================================

one option is ground hammermilled limestone dust which is inexpensive
    and used here, salt is used on runways in the lower fourty eight in many
    areas but is corrosive.

Another option which leaves no residue and a dry surface is this one-

using the railroads example- they use a jet engine mounted on a self propelled rail carrier-
    to deice and totally remove ice and snow from switches and also dries the entire area.

Using that railroad example you can use the largest salamader available with a kerosene fuel and melt and dry the pad at the same time using a diverter nozzle prefabricated at a sheet metal shop and mounted on the salamander.

you would only have push the salamander back and forth a few times to clear snow and ice over a wide area and have a dry helicopter landing pad.

Dont laugh it works Conrail did it for years and CSX has continued to do it in the buffalo and albany yards

Just remember the transport gurney wheels are very small, barely four square inches of wheel contacts the ground or pathway and the gurney is top heavy when under way with a victim coming or going to the helipad.

leon

13. aquacaldo

aquacaldo Junior Member

Heat it

I would get the heli pad heated. No worries and no problems. You never know when the temp can rapidly change. I would invest in a heated pad. It seems like the safest solution.

14. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

stay awa from granulars FOB very bad things would happen if they got blown up from the rotors and found their way into the engines.... stick with liquids around helicopter pads....

15. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

^^^^^^^^^^
    This guy gets it. Helicopters + granular anything is a very bad idea.

Liquids are the only way to go.