1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help fixing this torch

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by birddseedd, Jan 21, 2014.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

There is a leak somewhere. But I'm sure a good tightening will fix that issue. What I need help with is that one of the on off knobs was "pushed in". I pulled it out into place. But I have no idea how it works. Doors that mean its ok to use? Or is the whole torch set trash?

Thanks

2. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

You're talking about an acetylene torch? If so, given the fact that you have to ask, you really should bring it to someone qualified to work on it. If that is the acetylene valve that is leaking, you could blow your hand off (or worse) with a leak.

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Are you talking about a oxy-acetylene/propane torch set? What brand is it? I would just consider buying a new handle. They are not that much.

4. birddseedd

The leak is from the 02. I can fix the leak. my main question is with the valve. if the valve is pushed in, is it broken? or since i pulled out back into place is it still good. Never worked on one so no idea how it works internally.

5. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

The adjustment valve on the tanks or the one on the torch itself?

6. birddseedd

Uniweld

Apparently the knob unscrews all the way out and is just a rod that pushes on something. The whole knob and white bushing were pushed in. That itself does not look like it would cause a problem, so i guess im at square one, wont know if it works till its full.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. birddseedd

On the torch, although im missing a knob on one of the tanks. im sure its cheap to get.

8. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

From what I see from your pictures. You need a new set of gauges and new hoses.

9. birddseedd

how can you tell if they are bad or not?

10. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like the threads are gone.

11. birddseedd

so its possible itl leak out of hte threads?

gauges are only 15 bucks (the big part with the screw in knob?). so thats not to bad if i have to replace it. 80 for regulators, a little more pricey.

12. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

First of all it looks like those gauges and regulators are old and look to be in bad shape. If the hoses outer covering are either checked, split or show excessive wear. Replace them.

If they were mine. I would buy a new set of regulators with gauges and new hoses. I do not know about the torch you have but check it over thoroughly.

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I think this just may be the best post you've made.

14. birddseedd

best way to check for leaks?

how do i tighten the fittings, any tape or dope?

The hoses arnt cracked or anything, although they are old and could be leaking at the ends. guess ill find out.

thanks for the help btw

15. birddseedd

Thus why I have inquired on how to check for leaks.

16. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Spray soapy water all over them and then open the tanks up but not the torch end. Look for any bubbles. No pipe dope or tape or anything. Most important NO GREASE ANYWHERE on the tanks, regulators or torch end. Grease and oxygen make explosions.

17. birddseedd

Didn't know that. Thanks

18. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Ok, I thought you were talking about the valves on the torch.. that's just the adjustment screw for the regulator (not a valve) -- there is no gas pressure on those threads or around that spot, so as far as that part goes, you're good to go. You screw in the handle, and it puts pressure on a diaphragm and spring. Its only way down deep in the regulator that the actual pressurized gas is.

Just make sure that all your hoses and valves are in good shape, and be careful with it.

19. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

please don't use an Oxy/fuel torch until you've learned how to use one. These aren't something to play around with. These aren't just a little blow torch you'd use for soldering pipes. FWIW, I'm scared of acetylene. It's very unstable and very explosive. I'm set up for propylene at my shop at school just in case a kid makes a mistake. Propylene is more forgiving. You can also run regular propane and O2. Go do some serious homework on oxy fuel torches before you hurt yourself. You can get a Victor knock off regulator for about 100 bucks at a welding store if you got one of them around you. Go to a legit welding store where they sell the gasses. Don't mess around with anything from TSC or Lowes or wherever.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  20. birddseedd

I'v used them before. just never serviced one.