1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help fast!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Santry426, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Santry426

Santry426 Senior Member

Got the chance to get a 2 yard policaster for short money my question is will I be able to use a 8ft spreader in my gmc's 6.5 bed? I know its prob not the bestbut if i'd like to use use it the rest of the season to fund something better suited. Would the tailgate have to come off or could that stay to help with the shortbed? He said the controlor stoped working so he wired it with a swith to turn the unit on and off.. Sounds half assed but for the price i'd really like to get it to work

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Where did you get the 8' measurement?

My 2 yard Sno-Ex is just a tad over 6' 5",

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I think most 2yrd spreaders are a bit longer then the snow-ex 8500's. I looked at a poly DownEaster and it would have ate most of my 8' bed. Specs say it's 92" so 7.6' long.

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Must set lower I suppose. Even a 8' one will have to hang off @ least a foot to allow the spinner assembly to clear the bumper.

In either case as long as it is bolted/strapped in well it should be OK.
    Most definitely take the gate off tho. It will get beat to heck if not and probably render it useless by seasons end.

5. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

6. Santry426

Santry426 Senior Member

I got it from fishers site. It states this

117″ x 63″ x 44″ 3/4 & 1 Ton Sand & Salt 660 lbs 8′ Polyethylene 15 1/2 Poly 16 3/4″ 2′ - 40′ 1.8 yards

The thing that I dont see how it would work with the control box being busted cause it states that its a two switch setup . Along with diagnostics and so on. Its a generation 1 so maybe there different? For 600 bucks if I can get it sling salt it will pay for itself quick

7. RepoMan1968

why is it you always post " I Think" Maybe Possibly or they used to be or were answer when the OP is looking for " factual info " ?

8. RepoMan1968

make sure theres a vibrator incl. you'll need it for bulk material

9. Santry426

Santry426 Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like thats an optional kit would be nice if it had it.

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Would you rather me not think?

I worded it that way so I didn't have to go through the internet and find out the specs for every 2yd spreader ever produced just to see if I was right or wrong. I'm used to the snow ex 8000 series so I was going off memory of other brands and the models they offer.

11. RepoMan1968