1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NEED HELP FAST!!!!! Wiring headlights

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 600rrpilot, Jan 10, 2007.

1. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot Senior Member

Ok so I cant deal with my problem anymore....here is the older thread......

So what im looking for is a little insight on how to bypass the curtis harness and wire these up isolating them from my trucks headlight system. I dont want to add any more plugs or anything Just want to wire them off the battery to a toggle switch and splice those wires into the wires in the curtis harness that power my plow lights so the original plug will work.

If someone has a little diagram or could draw one up in paint or something that would be awfully helpful. I gotta get this done this weekend before it (if ever) it starts snowing.

Here is the curtis wiring diagram. Its on page 10

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A. You need to use A relay.
    what is wrong with your lights?

I see it is a Dodge I have a couple of them my self..
    Check the fuse box under the hood, look for the head light fuse pull it out only one of them, now go turn the lights on. The light with the missing fuse will still glow.
    I think you have a short some where or a wire crossed and all the dealer did was to replace a blown fuse.

There is no reason for this to happen if the plow harness was installed properly.
    Go back and fallow the MGFs instructions for installation.

You should already have a toggle switch to change from truck to plow lights. I know you should have the correct pigtails for the lights as they plugged together but you better double check.

Is the toggle switch wired correctly? check the schematic.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  3. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot Senior Member

Theres no fuse for the lowbeams as per dodge. It runs through the "front control module" which is essentially relays i would assume. According to the installer everything is correct and he checked it over. I double checked what i could but beyond that im stumped. I have the right headlamp adapters already checked that.

For some reason its overloading the front control module...or relay. Like when I have the headlamp adapters pluged in its drawing more power......or shorting out somewhere? I dont know exactly what would do it since im not too up on electronics.

I do have a toggle switch to switch from plow to truck lamps. and it looks to be wired fine.
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The reason I would check the fuses is that I had one head light that was very dim on my 01
    When I checked the fuses there was a blown fuse. When I replaced it the light came on full brightness. It was marked hazard/ turn I think...
    It was Not the 40amp head light fuse.

The lights will not work right if they are half way hooked up.
    Hook up every thing first then try it.

Check the fuses box under the hood from the 20amp hazard/turn down to the 10 amp fog light fuse.

Next check the relays for the plow lights, are the power wires in the right spots on the relays? Check the fuse in the plow harness to.

There is no reason it should not work if if is hooked up properly.

Do not assume anything.
  5. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot Senior Member

this has already been to the dealer. Their computer found that my front control module was bad. All fuses are fine.

My plow only has one relay for the pump solenoid. Thats it.. No relays for any of the lights. There is a toggle switch to switch from plow to vehicle lights. Nothing else. Its very simple yet its screwing this up. There is a short or crossed wire somewhere in the curtis headlight harness that is blowing out my front control m,odule.....therefore i need to isolate the vehicle system from the plow system.

I think I figured out a way to wire around it with minimal addition to the system. Actually I could probably remove a ton of wiring and make it even simpler. Which i dont understand why they didnt do it in the first place.

Im going to dop the following if anyone sees a problem with it please tell me. Im going to delete the headlight adapters and all wiring. I will take the white/red ground wire off the harness plug and run it to a chassis ground. I will leave the toggle switch wires that go from the switch to the plow headlights. And i will wire in two relays one for the lowbeam and one for the highbeam to bring power to the switch. This way once i flip that switch....power will go to the headlamp wires from the switch to the bulbs.

Or am I a fire waiting to happen?
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  6. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

In another word, you will not turn on the vehicle headlights, and control the plow lights with switched relays. Sounds good to me.
    If you use a center off switch, you can go up, down, and off with one switch.