1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help dismounting an EX75!

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by jasondwade, Mar 4, 2012.

1. jasondwade

jasondwade Junior Member

I went to take my plow off today, which I've done numerous times before, and can't get the chain lift pushed down any to retract the lift cylinder. I put the plow in float, but not having any luck. One chain is very tight, while the other is loose. Any help is appreciated. I need it off asap.

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You have a photo so everybody see what you are seeing and talking about

3. jasondwade

jasondwade Junior Member

No. I just cant get slack in the chains to take the plow off. I've always been able to put it in float and push down on the lift cylinder and it was a piece of cake.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Cutting edge could be worn down,put something under it and try again.

5. jasondwade

jasondwade Junior Member

I'll try it but do you think it would keep me from being able to push the chain lift down? It's always went down easy before.

6. brg

brg Member
    from Maine

Does it go up and down like normal with the control?

7. jasondwade

jasondwade Junior Member

Yes. One chain is tight, other one with slack.

8. brg

brg Member
    from Maine

I'm confused about how one chain could be tight and the other one is loose. Are you trying to take it off on a level surface? Is the chain caught on something? How much of the lift cylinder is still showing when it's as low as you can get it?

9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I usually have to twist the chains by hand to get the lift cylinder to collapse. Mine won't go down by pushing the lift arm.

10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Could be air lock check the fuild see if its full

11. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

My lift cylender won't go down all the way either. I put 4x4 timbers under each end of the plow and that gives me enough slack to work the head gear.

12. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

Take a picture of the lift cylinder for us. There have been issues with the lift cylinders in the past. How old is the plow?

13. jasondwade

jasondwade Junior Member

I was too. When I hooked it up this yr, one side was tight and one loose. Will that cause any problems? Anyways, to catch up on a couple other posts, there is still plenty of room in the cylinder to be pushed down to loosen the chains. The one chain is too tight to twist to get the cylinder down. Where do I check the fluid for air lock? Sorry, only been plowing 3 yrs but this hasnt happened before. The plow is only 3yrs old as well. In good shape.

14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Put a jack stand on your cutting edge and lower it as far as you can. Then take the chain off and re set it.

15. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

You can also just crank you jack to lift your A-frame up enough to get more slack to allow a link or two out.

By twisting the chains, I take one chain in one hand and the other chain in my opposite hand (obviously), then I cross the chains pushing down at the same time. It creates a scissor type motion that gives enough pull to move the cylinder.

16. tsut

tsut Member
    from NE Ohio

Had a friend who couldn't get slack on his MD75 (know its different); suggested the usual float, push cyl down... wouldn't go down.

Had him try lowering plow when overhanging a lower elevation (off edge of raised pad). THis allowed cylinder to "break through" a slight burr that normal float spot built up. Back on level surface, he could then push the cyl down when in float to slack chains.

Easy to try, might help. Good luck!

Tom

17. brg

brg Member
    from Maine

Good idea!

18. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

If your packing nut is too tight, it wont push down very easy..
    I grab one chain in the middle and pull hard outward. More leverage that way.