1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

need help diesel problems!!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by baddboygeorge, Jun 18, 2003.

1. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

i have a 1990 f 250 with the 7.3 diesel . i am getting a miss out of the motor an it has lost power could this be an injector problem . please let me know if so how do i clean them or do i need to have them professionally cleaned please help.you have aways came thru in the past an i want to tell you all that have helped thanks a bunch !!

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

George, you can crack the injector lines with it idling,one at a time,until you find the one that doesnt change the RPM when you loosesn it. Once you find it,you can swap that injector with one next to it,or get them checked by a pump shop. If you have a 400PSI compression tester,or access to one,check the compression on that cyl while your at it. Other than that you may want to take it to a reputauble diesel shop where they can check the injectors.

3. baddboygeorge

john i did what ya said an the idle changed on all but some changed alittle more than the others. i think i am gonna pull them all out an have them cleaned. what do you think i should do ?? please let me know thanks george

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

George, if the dead cyl isnt totally dead it will be hard to find.At this point if you cannot do a compression test,you may want to take to to a diesel shop. Let them check the fuel system,and do a compression test of that checks out OK. One of my best friends used to work at a fleet maintenance company,they worked on E350 vans,they were 24 pass,they had tag axles.They sampled the oil regularly,the engines rarley lasted more than 150K miles.The oil would get a lot of fuel in it as the engines wore out.They would replace the injectors and the fuel still got in the oil.Oil samples are the only way to tell what is going on,and since you havent sampled previous to this you have no base to work off of.

5. baddboygeorge

john are diesels easy to rebuild let me know thanks

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

A diesel engine is much more costly to rebuild that a typical gasser.Not much harder to do,just a few more parts.I'd do a little more diagnosis before condeming the motor.

Rebuilt injectors,and rebuilt injection pumps are pretty cheap,and sometimes your just better off getting new or rebuilt,than wasting time trying to figure out what's wrong.

I'd say you may just have a bad injection pump.The fuel filter is good and clean right ? Try a few bottles of fuel additive,like stanadyne,and see if it improves.

Is there any smoke associated with this problem ? and if so what color ?

7. baddboygeorge

wyldman whats up buddy!!

i had a friend of mine come by the shop an look at it today a he said it proablly was an injector problem . it must not be to serious cause the truck runs out well . just a little sluggish when taking offan at an idle once you get it going it seems fine. would you get the injectors cleaned or just replace with new . i hope i get this straightened out . thanks for all the help guys !!

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Long time no chat George,hope all is well.Did you ever get all the other work we discussed done ?

If the problem isn't to bad,try a few heavy doses of stanadyne first.It may just solve your problem.

If yu think it's still an unjector problem,I'd just get a set of new or rebuilt ones.I've seen them as low as $17.00 rebuilt,or if you want new they are about $25.00 each.Shop around.

If you do need a pump,check out www.fuelinjectionpumps.com

They have rebuilt 7.3L NA pumps for $249.00 exchange

www.dieselpage.com has good prices on new injectors.

9. baddboygeorge

wyldman

whats up man not a whole lot here . went to install injectors today an this turned into a mess. the problem is the injectors came unscrewed an the nozzles are stuck in the head. now what do i do . if i have to pull the heads i am rebuilding the whole motor . this is a whole lotta work to be going back in 2-3 times when i can just yank rebuild an i am done for another 300,000 . what is your imput on the matter please let me know guys thanks george

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

I have never seen that happen George,not a a 7.3 IDI.

You just remove the injector line,remove the return cap assy,then unscrew the injector.It should come right out.Could you post a pic of the stuck injector piece ?

11. baddboygeorge

wyldman

i can when i figure out this new sony camera i just bought. anyways i pulled two injectors yesterday an both of them did the same thing today i am gonna pull the other 2 on the same side an see if they do what the other 2 did .i mite try an easy out to see if i can get them to move . if i can get them to move i can get them out . i have talked to several diesel shops an they have never seen this problem either . they have to be the original injectors cause i had to lay the air impact on em for like 5 minutes each just to get it out. let me tell ya this is a pain in the ol behind ,,any easier method guys if so please let me know thanks so much george

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

Try running the engine for a bit,to get it hot.It will be a bit harder to work on,but they may come free.You can spray a good penetrating oil down around the bottom,and maybe it will help.Sometimes a good rap with a punch will help free things up as well.

13. baddboygeorge

wyldman whats your number up there i mite give ya a ring see if we can figure something out let me know thanks george

14. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'll PM you the numbers ASAP.

15. wyldman

wyldman Member

Any luck yet George ?

Check your PM's,I sent you my numbers.