1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help deciding

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dieselplow82, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Dieselplow82

Dieselplow82 Member

In the market for a new plow..I can't decide between the 9.6 mvp3 or the wideout..all accounts are commercial lots..pros and cons of each?

2. bbackes

bbackes Junior Member

Wideout all the way

I am all in on the Wideouts. We have switched out all but 2 of our 8 trucks from MVP's to Wideouts with no issues. I am convinced the efficiency and productivity is much greater. Wideouts are much more user friendly and carry way more snow than the MVP's. Windrowing is incredible also. Mainly plow commercial but the wideout works wonders on our residential drives for backdragging. Do yourself a favor and go Wideout.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  3. Dieselplow82

Dieselplow82 Member

You have valid points...I like how in scoop mode you can still turn the plow to navigate around lots and obstacles...so the wideout carries more snow than the mvp ?

4. bbackes

bbackes Junior Member

Yes, when you have it in scoop mode the wings being pitched in just keep directing snow inward to the moldboard and it just keeps piling on with minimal spill off. Really amazing to plow with.

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We mated our newest truck with an xls over another v on the experience and recommendation from a larger plow company who plows lots in every size and configuration there is. They've been switching over from 8.6 v's to xls for 3 seasons now. Out of 10-15 trucks or so all but 1 or 2 have xls on them. Sadly, (maybe not,lol) I haven't had the chance to use it yet. They said the time savings wasn't drastic but noticeable and if your on a 5-6 hour route it adds up. I was going to put a 9.6 V on this truck but also wanted wings making it 11ft wide but thought that might be a pain to drive around and make it too large for some of the places we do so an 8-10 was a obvious choice. The biggest thing I want to see is if it's any faster wind rowing with one of these. Obviously it's a little wider to begin with but I saw a guy taking full bites last year and basically nothing was coming off the leading end which is what I was hoping for. Hopefully we get a chance to get a comparison video between an 8.6 V and an XLS.

6. Dieselplow82

Dieselplow82 Member

Ya I like the idea of being able to extend out to 10ft when windrowing large lots with leading edge cupped in..and also back dragging driveways

7. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

ussmileyflag never had a v plow ...but I love my wideout .I will buy more as needed . best money I ever spent on snow removal stuff.have a great winter :drinkup:

8. bbackes

bbackes Junior Member

I will say that the difference is truly noticeable most likely based on the fact that you can take a full blade width bite with near zero spill off. You will have a tremendous amount of clean up if you tried that with any of the MVP's. Buy the Wideout and you will definitely add them to the rest of your fleet.

9. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

How about a V with wings?

10. Dieselplow82

Dieselplow82 Member

A v with wings is good too...you just can't turn the plow around corners or obstacles without spill off in the v position

11. bbackes

bbackes Junior Member

And the 9.6 MVP3 with wings just gets ridiculously heavy. We had 2 trucks set up that way and it is just so much harder on the trucks. 200+ lbs more than a wideout which already weighs close to 950lbs.

12. Dieselplow82

Dieselplow82 Member

Good point...too heavy

13. Brian Young

We ran Fisher wings on one our v blades to try them out and while I didn't have them on very long there was still a lot of spill off on the leading edge compared to what iv'e seen. Obviously if there is enough snow any blade will do this but I wasn't too impressed and for the price (mine were about 700 bucks!) I thought they would do better.

14. Brian Young

That's a great point! Maybe that set up on a F550 or a comparable truck or bigger but yes that's a lot of weight.

15. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

A MVP3 can be a straight blade, but a straight blade can never be a V.

I switched to a MVP3 two years ago and never regretted it, good for large lots and small and even smaller if you V it.

It cut my plow time down ranging from 45 minutes to 10 minutes depending on the lot I was doing.

I had a 5 hour route and cut it down to 3.5 hours for plowing which meant I could pick up 1-5 more clients depending on the time for their lots.

As for the heavy stuff, nothing beats a V-plow for cutting thru it.

I had one place closed for the week during Juno, hit them last, over 3 feet of snow when I got there, I cut thru that like a hot knife in butter.

Nothing beats a V-plow for versatility.

And I never even bothered getting the wings for it.

16. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

"Nothing beats a V-plow for versatility." Until you've worked with a Wide-out.... The only time a V blade is better is for clearing large drifts on rural driveways because you can ram into a drift "in V" without being pushed into the ditch. A Wide-out has to be angled to hit a big pile but if the drift is hard it will throw you right off the driveway. But in town, doing big parking lots you can expand the W.O. to a ten foot swatch, you can flip the wings to push as much or more than a 9.6 V and you can back-drag a single parking stall and make the W.O. fit the space perfectly. Nothing beats the Wide-out in urban situations...

17. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

I would like to see someone plow between two parked cars and push the snow straight forward with a 8 foot wide out without pushing any snow into either car.

Oh wait you can't, you need to angle the blade and that means pushing snow into and under the other car.

I can with my V by V'ing it.

But let's western speak for itself:

I based this my old pro plus 8 ft and a One hour plow time.

WESTERN WIDE-OUT™
    Estimated WIDE-OUT Plowing Time
    34 minutes
    ESTIMATED TIME SAVED:
    26 minutes (43%)

WESTERN MVP 3™
    Estimated MVP 3 Plowing Time
    38 minutes
    ESTIMATED TIME SAVED:
    22 minutes (36%)

So you save a whopping 4 minutes with the wide out.

I would rather have a V that is more versatile.

Like I said, a straight blade can never be a V,

But a V can be a straight blade.

You get more options with a V and how you want to push the snow.

Too bad Western doesn't rent out their plows, then everyone could rent a wide out then a V and see for themselves.

18. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

"I would like to see someone plow between two parked cars and push the snow straight forward with a 8 foot wide out without pushing any snow into either car.
    Oh wait you can't, you need to angle the blade and that means pushing snow into and under the other car."

You need to read what I actually said..."you can back-drag a single parking stall":dizzy:

I plow a large, busy, 24 hour shopping center where cars come and go all day and night, but the lot still has to be plowed.... We started out using a skid steer to clean individual stalls until I bought my first Wide-out. We were using my plow to push the snow that the skid steers pulled out of the stalls. But while I was sitting waiting for the guys to give me some snow to push away I tried doing a couple stalls myself. I Pulled in with my F550 / Wide-out, dropped the plow (straight & collapsed) as close as possible to the car in front. Then I extended one wing at a time until it was close to each side car as I felt was safe, then I carefully backed out scrapping the stall almost perfectly clean. (backdrag edge installed) Since the blade was straight and the duration was only the length of the car there was VERY little spillage out the sides. Try that with your Vplow! Whatever gave you the idea that we need to "Angle the blade??" It shrinks down to an 8ft straight blade!! If my 550 fit in the space my Wide-out fit too... straight... not angled at all. :nod:

If you try to do the same with a V you have to adjust the blade width by either V-ing or Scooping... In either case you can't get close to the car in front because it's "NOT A STRAIGHT BLADE!"

You are right about one thing though..... It would be great if you could rent plows. Then people like you could speak from experience instead of from imagination.

I build, sell, repair, evaluate Western plows every winter work day and operate plows every time it snows. I can tell you from actual experience that I can plow the same sights faster with a Wide-out than I can with the MVP3.

Think about it.... The Wide-out is 10 feet wide!!! That 6" extra makes all the difference in the world when you are doing a 3 acre wide open parking lot with no cars. And with the wings folded forward it pushes incredible volumes of snow.

Also consider how your V and my Wide-out works when you push up to a curb. I push my swath with wings forward (to reduce spillage) until just before I hit the curb at which time I flip them back, lift the 10" straight blade and push all that snow about 2: past the curb. If you do that with you V half your snow spills out when you open the scoop. If you don't straighten your blade yo leave a mess when the front corners of your plow hit the curb.

I will speak to some of the down sides I have found with the Wide-out though... They are more delicate than an MVP+ or MVP3 The wings on the W.O. take a beating and there is no option to put curb guards on the wings whereas you can on a V. I have also suffered paying to replace the neoprene wing cutting edges after wearing them on long curbs. It sucks that you have to cut them down to fit a half worn main cutting edge. However I loved that I could use those soft edges like a squeegee against curbs. My last beef is that the nylon rubbing pads on the back side of the wings always falls off after a couple plows and then the wings just scraps metal to metal against the main blade. They are bonded with glue and since the nylon is flat and stuck to a curved surface there is no expectation of lasting. Western could do a better job there....

19. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

V-plow also beats a wide out carrying down the road... :popcorn::whistling:

20. Dieselplow82

Dieselplow82 Member

So much info!!!! So many decisions! !