1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help deciding Western Mvp3 or Boss DXT

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Falcon121, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Falcon121

Falcon121 Junior Member

First I know this has been debated, I'm pretty sure I've already read all of the posts that I could find. I'm looking for updates from the guys who have been using them over the past winter that could help persuade me one way or the other.

My back ground, I have purchased a new home with a long gravel driveway that tends to blow shut, so I decided to purchase a plow. I have an F450 so I need the 9.2 /9.6 so the snow clears the back tires.

The prices I got are close enough to not matter, some of the differences are the Western dealer is offering 3yrs warranty / Boss is offering 2yrs. Both dealers recommend Poly plows (What is your thoughts on this?). I like the western mount system over the boss, and I like that the boss moldboard is thicker than western. Also the western has the center pin that lets the plow ends tilt up or down so it follows the ground better, is that something that is noticeable over a boss that doesn't do that?

Thanks in advance for the info.
  2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Why do you need a Vee plow, if you're only plowing your drive, why not just get a straight blade?
  3. Falcon121

Falcon121 Junior Member

Maybe I don't, I didn't know how well a straight blade would be able to cut through the snow drifts, also I thought the Vee would give me more control moving / stacking the snow around the house and garage.
  4. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

We have both a Boss 9-2 (not a dxt) and 2 western 8-6 mvp plus with western wings. The western is the prefered plow at our place, I like the controller much better on the western, the western hooks up much easier, the western stacks better and the western back drags better. IMO you dont need the big flared wing as your not trying to windrow and really throw the snow in a big parking lot and I dont think you really need the dual trip edge of the Boss but those are my opinions.
  5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

MVP3, that was easy.
  6. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Me, I'd go with the Western Thumbs Up
  7. I would go Boss DXT. The Western poly will be a pink plow in few years. The Boss hitch is not as flared as the Western so your alignment between the plow and the truck is more critical, other than that, using the plows power to mount itself saves my back, shoulders, elbows and wrists. Go stainless over poly, plowing a gravel drive will scratch or mark up any type material the plow is made of. Buy the shoes and install them slightly lower than the trip edge because of the gravel. The new Boss LED headlights are hands down light years head of any other system out there. The DXT trips both full and trip edge something no other plow does. The Boss plow hand control has lot less buttons that are larger and easier to use than the Western. A long driveway you want a flared V-plow to throw the snow as far as you can, besides a V-plow changes from a V to straight to scoop in seconds you have 3 plows in 1. The Western will not stack snow any higher than the Boss and I can show you a couple of driveways that drop off that the Western will have daylight under it if you try to back drag it, while the Boss leaves black top. In some conditions back dragging over gravel driveways is the way to go. At my plow dealer, who sells both Boss and Western brands, I looked at their back lot last fall at their used traded in plows. They had 10 Westerns and Fishers all types and styles from almost new to relics. The 1 Boss V that they had was 15 to 20 years old.
  8. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

I've ran both plows multiple times.
    I can tell from your post that youve never ran a western.
    Hookup takes less time just for the lining up the truck factor with a western.
    Easier on back, wrists, etc? You've never hooked one up.
    And a western won't stack any higher than a boss?
    You've never stacked with one.
    Once the lift cylinder is maxed on a boss, that's it. Youre pushing the truck up the pile. Done.
    Western stacks higher. Sorry.
  9. Ok, I'll take the bait. I live in a lake effect area, and I have been behind the wheel of a pickup truck for quite a few decades with more than several different types and brands of plows hanging on the front of it. My last remaining stack of snow will be gone today. Go to youtube and watch Western's own videos about attaching plows, slamming big levers or pushing the head back and up is not easier than holding a toggle switch up. Once a Western hits it stops, it is not going any higher, or it will land on your hood. I know, the obsolete chain lift on the Western will save my transmission while it informs me of any bumps in my states fine roads with bouncing up and down. Between plow brands for pickup trucks there is not a dime's worth of difference in stacking abilities of similar models. Need to stack higher? Go bigger, Bobcat, Deere, Cat etc. The best in customer service
    of all brands? Boss, going away. I can tell from your post that you do not know me, where I have been and what I have done. Done.
  10. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Until your hydraulic coupler fails when there's snow coming. Lol

It's just like ford Chevy dodge. I like chain lift don't care for direct. I'm with Mx in this
  11. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

I really like the trip edge/ full trip combo. Dont think ill ever leave it. And yes I've spent years in boss and westerns. Don't really care to get wrapped up in the rest of the fanboy talk though
  12. Falcon121

Falcon121 Junior Member

Thanks for all of the info.

Another question, why are the Westen plows be it steel, poly, or stainless all thinner than Boss? I'm guessing it's not an issue and the Western Plows are all holding up really well, but you would think with marketing they would be the same.
  13. jdsquire

jdsquire Member

I've been debating a similar situation. Currently have an older Meyer poly 7.5 EZ Mount Classic. I've been looking at both Western and Boss plows, the local Western dealer has better customer service/support and Western seems to have an easier drive in system. However, selling the old Meyer system takes priority before purchasing a new plow.
  14. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

This may or may not be a video of a members truck and plow....

Show me a video of your boss with the cutting edges above the hood, and I'll quit proving my point.
  15. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

That's great and all, but he's not plowing a parking lot, he's plowing his driveway. The main reason I also recommend a straight blade, along with saving costs.
  16. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Wasn't debating the straight vs v.
    Another member posted saying that chain vs direct lift stack the same.
  17. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

That would be silly to say that. Everyone knows the a chain lift will out stack a piston driven lift.

Do know how I check the cutting edge for wear?

I stack and glance out the window.
    JustJeff likes this.
  18. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We love the DXT. Have bought 6 in the last 2 years. But they are both great products. Only thing is our boss dealer is next door to our shop and the western dealer has the worst service EVER! Easy decision
  19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

no vid but I do have a pic....

This is in a parking lot, as if that makes any difference.....
    we also stack this high on residential drives, if there is enough snow.

pile (2).jpg
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  20. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Looks like that pic proved you be not as right as you could be. Sorry.
    The tires of the truck in my pic are on pavement...Sorry

And its not a chain lift that saves transmissions , it's the trip edge that does,:laughing::laughing:

(nether a chain lift nor a trip edge will actually save your transmission)

Yes, I own/run both chain lift and direct lift plows.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016