1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help deciding on correct size PLOW - GMC 2500HD

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by stevie fierce, Jan 29, 2011.

1. stevie fierce

stevie fierce Junior Member
    from NH

Hey guys,
    I plow professionally and have a 9' pro plus on my 4500 gmc. We service condo complexes and have the whole thing going on...... bobcats, snow blowers, etc........
    My question is kind of specific. Im looking to put a plow on my 08' 2500 HD SRW. The truck is a crew cab long bed diesel.
    My dilemma is this, Im looking for something as a simple back up plow. Something my dad can maybe operate behind me when we are finishing up. Something we can do our small driveways with. Here's the kicker....... I own a home a few hours away as well where I'd wanna bring this new plow on weekends, etc......
    So in short, Im asking what size ultra mount should I get. I feel it should be lite enough to carry long distances, small enough to handle the few driveways, not too much for my dad to handle during a storm BUT big enough for my 2500HD. I don't want to buy new and keep looking on here and ebay and craigslist. I keep finding these 7.5' Pro Plus plows...... Is this enough plow or should I not even consider something smaller than an 8'.
    Westerns website says I am good anywhere between the 7.5'-8.5' depending on whether its a pro or pro plus. Does anyone have any experience with this that could help me come to my decision? Thanks a bunch!!!! Keep snowing!!!!

2. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

I have a 2007 3500HD ex cab long bed diesel. Had a 8' pro for 3 1/2 years and just upgraded to a 8' pro plus with wings. I would not go less than 8'. Fully angled it's just barely wider than the truck, but when turning, the rear tire runs over snow. 7 1/2' would be worse as it's narrower than the truck at full angle and your truck is longer than mine. As far as weight, either plow will exceed your front GAWR. My FAWR is 4,800 lbs. and on the scale my front axle weighs 4,500 lbs. Only leaves 300 lbs. for a plow. That being said my truck handles the added weight fine but I cranked the t-bars and have shimmed timbrens. The 8' pro plus is about 130 lbs. heavier than the 8' pro.

3. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

I would go 8ft pro plus, forget the 7.5 blades, they are for 1\2tons