1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help deciding on a truck.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bubby2411, Mar 10, 2015.

1. bubby2411

bubby2411 Junior Member

This coming year i am not able to use the truck and plow that i have been using for the past years. I have been plowing for 5yrs so i know what i am doing and i am actually very easy on the trucks that i use. With that being said i have to make a decision on my next truck to put a plow on it. I will be doing a small lot at our business and will also be doing a parking lot at a local grocery store that i have always done.
    I have 2 choices in a truck.
    1st truck i can purchase from someone in the family so i know it is taken care of is a 2000 chevy 1500 ext cab short bed 4X4. Truck is in good shape runs great. I would not really care to much about the truck except for in the winter when it is plowing due to i have other vehicles i drive. i can get the truck for $1500 and was wondering if it was worth it to buy it and put a plow on it and not care to much as it would be a beater and save the ware on the other truck i will mention. I know the t bars will have to be cranked and the kit added in the front will make it level out.
    The 2nd truck i can put a plow on will be a 2002 chevy 2500HD. Yes i know that the better choice would be this truck but it is one of our work trucks we have here that we got which is in excellent condition. I dont want to put a plow on it and we be out one of our main trucks.

My main question would be is that would getting the 1500 for cheap and put a plow on it worth it so i do not put ware and tare on one of our nicer trucks. Any help or advice would be best! I live in MD so we do not get a massive amount of snow. Maybe a couple 10+ storms a year thats about it.

Also would want to know what kind of plow should i try and go with? i have always run western and never have a problem

2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Buy the 1500,put a used 7'5 on it you'll be fine.I know guys who have plowed with 1500's heavy commercial and they last for years.Don't over think it!Go cheap.

3. bubby2411

bubby2411 Junior Member

what kind of 7.5? and where would be the best place to find one?

4. leigh

from CT

Craigslist is good for used.As far as brand doesn't matter much,maybe consider local dealer support,who's close.Also are you going to install yourself? Got all summer to save 500$ if you do yourself.Or just buy new if you don't mind dropping 4500$ or so.

5. bubby2411

bubby2411 Junior Member

i can put a new or used one on a card or do a credit on it. I have found a dealer who sells used plows that is close to me about 2hrs away. I dont mind traveling at all. I put their website below. I am easyily capable of installing it myself i might just get lazy or i never have enough time and have someone do it. I have searched CL all winter and have not come across one good deal for a plow sadly.

http://www.storksplows.com/home

6. jerpa

jerpa Member

Winter isn't the time to get a good deal on a plow. During the late spring and early summer I've seen quite a few serviceable plows for $1000, and sometimes less, on craigslist. If you have to put it on credit that won't work though.

7. bubby2411

bubby2411 Junior Member

no i don't have to put it on credit i was saying if i bought a new one i could do credit. Ill just play the waiting game and see what i can find.

8. leigh

from CT

Winter ? Oh yeh,guess I'm wishing my way into spring!