1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help deciding on a plow

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by bryanj23, Nov 16, 2006.

1. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

Help me please! I have been thinking of putting a plow on my 1994 Jeep Cherokee for some time now and I think I'm going to this year. I have been looking at the SnowSport and SnowBear models. I think I will go with the SnowBear. My questions are 1) does anybody have a SB200 or TX75 on their Cherokee or other small SUV and 2) if so, are additional lights required. It seems as though the 26" height of the SB might cover the headlights with the plow up. I have a baby on the way and am looking to get by relatively cheap for the time being. Thank you for any help you can offer.
  2. jeepplow

jeepplow Junior Member

I have a snowbear on my 94 Wrangler. It works great for me. It comes with a transport hook to support the blade weight and save the winch from the stress bumping around while transporting. I made a slightly longer hook to lower the blade and I have no trouble using my Jeep headlights. Of course, it depends on the height of the lights on your Cherokee.

You can try it out and order the optional light kit if necessary. I have heard that some just purchased cheap lights and made their own light kit using the Snowbear light mounts. The Snowbear kit didn't have turnsignals, so you may want to (or have to) add the turnsignals to be legit.

I don't transport much but I haven't had any problem.

You will definitely want the snow foil or make one since the small blade height will allow the powdery stuff to roll onto your hood and cover your windshield.

Good luck.
  3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

You might wanna check into meyers plow there more reliable then above and leaves your optoins open
  4. PhantomRacer

PhantomRacer Senior Member
    from boston

if price is the driving factor..then the snowbear is hard to beat. As far as I know it is the least expensive plow you can get. It works well.

If you do a search on the forum...you should find a thread or 2 about headlight modifications for the SB lite kit. The lite kit from SB is useless on the road. I put real plow lights on and it is wonderful. If I put the plow down so I can use the headlights of the truck..it is too low to the ground and I can hit things in the road. If being driven on roads..I would put it up all the way and use the supplied safety bar...and use lights if used at nite.

Price was a factor with my purchase...as well as choice..for a 2wd truck...the SB was pretty much my ONLY choice... but it has performed extremely well for me. I have not encountered snow that I was not able to push. It is a lot better than the reputation on this forum may give it.

5. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

What Snowbear model are you using on you wrangler? If I recall correctly the TX75 is 19" tall and the SB200 is 26" tall. I think my headlights are about 30" off the ground. I'll have to measure again. How high does the blade of your plow raise?
  6. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

I would love to. Problem is that I don't have that much money at the present time. As far as I know the next cheapest plow to the Snowbear is the Sno-Way which starts at around $2600. In addition I am looking for something to plow my driveway which is about 200-250 feet long with a turn around just big enough to fit 3 cars. I would also most likely be plowing a relatives drive that is about the same size. I'm thinking I can get away with a Snowbear.

I appreciate all of your input! I have never owned a plow before, so at present I am working solely on feature and price comparison as well as your opinions. Unfortuneately there is also no retailer within a 2 hour drive of my house that carries these plows so I won't get to look before I purchase without taking a day off from work!
  7. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Western is reliable as well i just got a used one installed for $2800. I know that western does not make mounts for an 89' anymore but im not sure about 94' you would have to check on that.
  8. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

Again, I'm looking at a Snowbear because of the $1,000 price tag.

Concerning the headlight situation, my headlights measure 31" from ground to bottom edge. Will that clear the SB or TX blades in the transport position?
  9. festerw

festerw Senior Member

You may be able to run without lights I ran my 98 last year without lights on my Snoway. Reason being you won't be able to drive any amount of distance without it overheating with the plow all the way up no airflow + small grill + small engine compartment = lots of heat.

If you take a look around you may be able to find a Snoway/Western/Meyer for cheaper, I bought my Snoway from a member here for $600. Call some dealers and ask about used plows, look in the paper, look in the for sale forum here, ebay, whatever you'll be surprised how much stuff you'll find.
  10. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

I would love to find a Snoway for $600! The problem here is that I live in the middle of nowhere and there don't seem to be many used plows around. I took your advice though and took a look in the for sale pages. I also put in an ad, we'll see what happens. I didn't spend too much time in there, nobody has specifics in the title and it would take hours to find something.

Anybody know how much those Boss Sport Duties sell for? Are there finance options with plows? Would it save me money in the long run to spend more up front or is the Snowbear an alright plow for doing driveways?
  11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Where in Mn do you live?

In my neck of the woods there plows and plow trucks for sale every where, you can't drive 1/2 mile with out seeing one for sale. o.k. a mile:D

Get a plow that has full hydraulic power, raise& side -to-side.

If you want a new plow get out the yellow pages and start calling for prices. There are adds in the paper too for dealers..
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  12. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

Depending on where you purchase, their usually are finance options as with any piece of equipment. Where do you live? I know your short on cash, but think of it this way, if you can afford a new plow with financing whether it be snoway, western, fisher, boss, meyers etc.. (the personal use versions), you'll have a new piece of equipment that is covered at least for two years and structually five years through snoway. You'll have a fully functional plow which means no getting in and out of the truck to manuel angle, and more reliable electric hydraulic cyclinders (there have been reports of burning up the whinch. Usually lights are included which help alot since your factory lights aren't aimed in the direction you would usually want for plowing. And in a few years if you move or have a need for a different vehicle or what not you either have a plow that will transfer to another vehicle relatively easily or you'll have a plow that will sell for a little more. Remember the old addage that once you have a plow you usually end up doing more plowing that you intend to once neighbors find out you have a plow, espeicelly in the country. Also consider that your bound to break down, if there is a dealer closer to you with a major brand, they usually carry parts on hand. Service can often be a very important decision as well.
  13. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

Problem: I'm in Bemidji, MN; half way between Duluth and Grand Forks. There are two plow dealers in town (Boss and Hiniker) and I have been watching the paper to no avail. The size of my town is roughly 20,000 when college is in session. Not a lot of options here. Any truck for sale with a plow on it in this area isn't worth $100. At least not that I have seen. Besides purchasing a plow truck means more insurance to pay.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Lol. On the old trucks not being worth $100.

I'm in the dullluth area.:sleeping:

There is a member on the site "Up North" aka Buck, that lives in your area.

He may know of a good deal on a plow or at least you would have an extra set of eyes looking for one.....Give him a pm and ask him if he knows of anything..
  15. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

I'm very new to this site. How do I go about finding him to send a pm?
  16. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Just click on his name if you can find it and scroll down in the drop down list to "Send a Private Message to ______" Or when your logged in, right where it says welcome, _______, underneath that is the private message button or "PM" button, click and search for him. Hope that helps a little...
  17. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

I don't have that button and if I try to click on a name (any name since I haven't found his) and try to send a pm it says I can't do that. Are there different levels of memberships? Anybody know "Up North" that could direct him here?
  18. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

Has anyone seen or had experience with the Snowbear Flexblade plow? Looks like it has an electric actuator rather than a winch and includes power angle of the blade for $1500.
  19. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

I think its still only manuel angling but does look a little more reliable compared to a the regular snowbear. Also If you get a class three front reciever hitch out of it, then maybe you could mount a hitch in front for the rest of the year.
  20. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

Go with western and do the install yourself. Central Parts Warehouse offers financing on equipment and the prices are competitive and because you are buying out of state there is no sales tax. www.centralparts.com