1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help deciding Equipment Options?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by neblawncare23, Aug 17, 2016.

1. neblawncare23

neblawncare23 Junior Member

I do a ton of sidewalks ranging from 48" to 12ft wide, also some parking lots that are around 6 stalls each. What piece of equipment would u get to cover all applications. I currently use an ATV with 50" blade, but am looking for something with a cab.
    Would a utility tractor like Deere 1025r, UTV and blower combination or stick with ATV be best option.
    Looking to spend under 25K. What do you guys use?

2. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I got a trackless and a bomby, From what I am hearing Ventrac is the way to go.

3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I have noe experience with them but a bobcat toolcat. Multiple attachments for different situations. No idea on price so not sure it falls into your ranage or not.

4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

massy ferg with a front mount blower, rear blade to scrape

5. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Toolcats are high, Been looking for one. Junk that need reconditioning are 10K. I would not use a toolcat on sidewalks. They are bad @ss in small to medium parking areas. Out perform a truck with ease.

6. Precedence

Precedence Senior Member

We use a Kubota B2320 with a plow blade on the front and a bobcat S70. The guys love the S70 as it small enough to fit in everywhere and more maneuverable than the kubota.

7. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Look into a small tractor with a cab. 20-35hp 4x4 with a hydrostatic transmission and a blade on the front.. Much faster than an ATV on deep snow and much more comfortable.

8. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

LoL S70 are cool if your small enough to get in one. I thought I was going to need a plunger when I tried one.

BUFF and Philbilly2 like this.
  9. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 Senior Member

Only complaint on my toolcat is pedal to go like a centrifugal clutch even though it's hydraulic. Just hard to get up close without double footing the brake sometimes. But in wide open areas it actually runs circles around my 2spd machines with its speed. For tighter confined areas skiddy will outperform. Sounds like your quad works well just trying to get out of the elements? Everything else like ventrac etc... would slow you down a bit.

10. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Toolcat is to productive for small tight areas, Not only will it out perform a 2sp skid it will also out perform a truck. Much safer visibility is much better.

11. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Have you looked into a Jeep Wrangler?

We used to use them for the school district's side walks... street legal, don't need a trailer to move, you can get from site to site fast, cab is very roomy... just my two cents as you can buy a 90's wrangler for less than 5 grand now a days.

12. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

I have run our ventrac on sidewalks with the sweeper and v plow and I was not too impressed, heat sucked, leaky small cab. But maybe that was just our aging machine. I would go with a tool cat or small tractor depending on your height restrictions, width restrictions as well as maneuverability and salting needs.

13. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

There is a big difference in money and performance from a toolcat to a small tractor. Your not comparing a apple to apple, My bomby and my trackless are pretty cozy inside but could never do the work of a toolcat. If I didn't see it with my own eyes I would of not believed that toolcat could out perform a truck.

14. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I'll never be without a Toolcat, but you're only kidding yourself trying to do 48 inch walks with one.

Ours pushes a Metalpless Plowmaxx in really small municipal lots in a downtown setting and there is nothing that will touch it production wise.

ScubaSteve728 and FredG like this.
  15. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Our toolcat is pretty impressive. Takes almost any attachment a skid takes but is restricted to 1500lbs lifting. It has 4wd, 4 wheel steer so it turns a tight circle, 17 mph and has a nice cab with great visibility.

ScubaSteve728 likes this.
  16. Bryan Henion

Bryan Henion Sponsor

Find yourself a Used John Deere 3 series tractor with a cab at least 35hp. Load the rear tires. Narrow turfs work good or R1. Put a HLA SB360054 or 60 V-plow on the front with the HLA 2000 series under mount. Metal Pless has same set up that would well work also. Depending on the tractor you can pull this off for $30k

ScubaSteve728 likes this.