1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help deciding between these two trucks

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Attn2dtl, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Attn2dtl

Attn2dtl Junior Member

I am looking to purchase a plow truck not a daily driver. I have narrowed my choices down to two

1. 96 F350 7.3 diesel with 135,000
    2. 98 chevy 2500 5.7 gas with 80,000

both are regular cab long beds with 8ft fisher setups

I will only be using this truck to plow and for work around my house. Dump runs, mulch, and whatever my wife says we need from HD

I have another truck for a daily driver

please help I need to figure this out before the end of the weekend
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

The cheapest one
  3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

if you already have a truck, then why get a second? can't your current "daily driver" truck be used for runs to home depot? why pay insurance, registration, taxes, maintainance, fuel, etc. on 2 trucks?

now if you needed a dedicated work truck, then fine, but to get a second truck for the easy weekend dump run doesn't make sense to me. if you want the capability to plow, why not get a used setup for your current truck? if it's only going to be plowing your property, then it's not like it will be subjected to the abuse of commercial plowing.
  4. linckeil

from CT

oh , and this is the picture forum, so throw up some pics of the 2 trucks you are deciding between. without mention of condition or pictures, it's gonna be real tough to say which one to get....
  5. Attn2dtl

Attn2dtl Junior Member

My current truck is used pretty much to cart the kids around and I tow my work trailer with it. It's a 1500 Sierra Denali and I don't want to mess it up plowing. I have an auto detailing company so the truck is babied.

As for the 2nd truck. I plow for my local town and a few dozen driveways. The truck I used to use I scrapped. It had frame rot and wasn't worth fixing. Yes I can use my other truck for Home Depot. But like I said I don't use it as a work truck.
  6. novawagonmaster

novawagonmaster Senior Member

I'm a big fan of the GMT Chevy trucks (88-98), and not a big fan of diesel (unless you have a real need for it).
  7. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

whats the condition of the trucks like? That's biggest thing in trucks that old. I would lean toward the 7.3 but if its all rotted and the other one is cherry than that would be a huge factor. Way too many variables here
  8. linckeil

from CT

ok - so it sounds like this truck will be used for quite a bit of plowing - a few dozen driveways plus plowing for the town is more than a lot of guys on this site do. with a route that large, i would advise you should not only have a dedicated plow truck, but a backup plow truck to that.... so if i were you, i'd be buying both trucks.
  9. Attn2dtl

Attn2dtl Junior Member

Only need one truck though. I have a truck that I can borrow from a buddy in a pinch ( if mine breaks) I just can't use it all the time. It's also one of his back up trucks. I just don't know which one of these two is more up to the task for what I need. I have never own a diesel but most of the guys I plow with have them. Some new some old. And they are beasts plus they rave about their fuel economy. I have always had GM trucks. So venturing into ford territory is also new for me.
  10. montec

montec Junior Member
    from ND

I'm biased, get the Chevy. Its cheaper to fix and upgrade over Ford. And by fix, I mean preventative maintenance.
  11. linckeil

from CT

without any insight as to the price of either or the condition of either (2 HUGE factors), i will assume condition and price are similiar. if so, the ford hands down. it has a dana 60 solid front axle and leaf springs - 2 things i want in my plow trucks. it will ride a lot rougher than the chevy. diesel is more expenisve, but depending on rear axle ratio, the ford can get mid to high teens mileage, whereas the gas truck will be around 10-12mpg. the 7.3 deisel is extremely simple and reliable. at 135,000 miles its just broken in. now the rest of the truck may be falling apart around the motor, which would be a problem.

are you working on these trucks? or do you have a machnaic you go to? if you have a machanic you use, get his advice on it as hes the one that would be working on it. and take him along with you to see it. as has been said several times, you cannot be given a fair assessment of which one to get without having any information on condition or pictures.
  12. Attn2dtl

Attn2dtl Junior Member

they both have some rot on the rear fender wheels but frames are fines. I don't have any pics or I would share them
  13. Attn2dtl

Attn2dtl Junior Member

Sorry also both are priced with closely the chevy is $6k the ford is $7 I should have taken pics. Both have some wheel well rot and paint bubble on the bottom of the door sills. Pretty common for an older truck. I will be fixing them myself. General maintenance and repairs. I do have a mechanic if it is out of my realm. He said it doesn't matter both are old and will break. Not so good advice from him. He is not a truck guy he is into tuner cars, not my thing.
  14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My thoughts: find a truck down south that doesn't have any rust problems already. I'd rather deal with a truck from Arizona or Texas then anywhere in the midwest or NE.

And find a new mechanic who knows and enjoys trucks, not little cars.
  15. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Take a look at the metal lines. Cooler lines, fuel, brake, etc. These can add up to MAJOR problems.

Check front ends on both.

I'd think spending another couple thousand on a decade newer and on a previously NON plow truck would be a better choice.

But I'd choose the Chevy for ease of maintenance and cost of it.
  16. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

x2 for Mark 13's advice on mechanic replacement, especially if you go with a diesel. Doesn't matter how well you take care of it, it WILL break. And when it does, you better know someone who knows diesel because short of oil changes, you probably won't be doing the work yourself.

And I too am biased. Only Ford in my driveway. All others have to park in the street. :D
  17. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Chevy. Hands down
  18. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

What's your favorite flavor of cake?

Both will plow snow, if they are similarly priced and condition wise are similar it's up to you. Both the trucks will be simple to work on. I know people say that diesels are expensive to work on and fix and they are right buy you can fix most things in your driveway. I got my truck not knowing a thing about diesels and I've done a lot of repairs to my truck just based off of YouTube videos and the internet. They aren't that hard.

Personally I like the idea of a solid axle and leaf springs to plow, but I prefer Chevys to fords in most other ways. My Next truck will be a Chevy 1500 for backup, can't stand DD'ing a 1 ton truck. But since it's not your daily it really doesn't matter

Pick your poison, they both have great reputations on the motor side of things
  19. gallihersnow

gallihersnow Senior Member

Chevrolet all day!
  20. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Brand aside, one ton is heavier. Get the F350, solid axle and leaf springs, it's a work/plow truck.