1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help choosing a new snow plow...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by xza888, Nov 30, 2009.

1. xza888

xza888 Banned
    from Canada

I just purchased a 2010 Superduty F-250 and am looking for a new snow plow...

My clients are:
    - 100% residential (2x2 cars, 2x3 cars, with a "U" turn)
    - mostly interlocked driveways

I am thinking of a
    - Fisher X Blade
    - Western Pro Plus
    - Snoway 29HD (w/ down pressure)

I usually drive up to the garage and then back drag...

What do you guys recommend?

Fisher X Blade and Western Pro Plus both seems like a good choice. However, Sno-way's down pressure system is a very attractive feature. Is it safe on interlock driveways? It is not as popular so I'm not sure if my partner would support it.

2. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

I'd go with the sno way beings that you are doing so much back dragging

3. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Sno way you'll love the down pressure. Or get a blizzard and do the down pressure mod.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like a good application for a Sno-Way to me

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I like the Sno-way.

6. Deco

Deco Senior Member

7. STRONGARM

STRONGARM Senior Member

I have 3 sno way's- for res they are great with the down presure.The 2 questions you have to answer are. What shape is the interlock in? and How is your dealer support?

I would go with the western if you are planing on going to more comm. in the future.

Where in Canada?

8. bean7654

bean7654 Member

Seems that alot of people on here recommend the dealer with the best and most reliable service in your area. I just bought my first plow and went with a Western. Although the down pressure seems like a good features

9. STRONGARM

STRONGARM Senior Member

it's a huge selling factor, when you need service at 4 in the morning you want a guy that will not only be there but have the parts.

10. xza888

xza888 Banned
    from Canada

There are several dealers around me within a 15km radius...

I am also considering the Pro Plus which weighs about 200 lbs more than the 29HD... would the Sno-way offer a better advantage over the Western plow?

11. STRONGARM

STRONGARM Senior Member

Just in the back draging, other than that I think the westerns are a better built plow.

Where in Can??

12. xza888

xza888 Banned
    from Canada

I'm in the East GTA, you don't see any Sno-ways in this area...

13. STRONGARM

STRONGARM Senior Member

I'm in the west gta and there are more and more....but not even close to western

14. xza888

xza888 Banned
    from Canada

Sorry, I would like to PM you but I am still a newbie.

All of my clients are residential. If price is not an issue, would you go with the 29HD (or maybe even the 32) or the Pro Plus?

I want something that will get the job done faster, better, and reliable. I am willing to pay for it. The Pro Plus already weighs 200#s more... so I'm not sure how much use I will get from a 250# DPS.

15. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Go with the Sno-Way...the DP is far better then an extra 200lbs.

16. STRONGARM

STRONGARM Senior Member

For quality of plow i say the western and put a backdrag cutting edge on it.

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The 29HD would be a great choice for what you are doing. Add a poly wearedge to protect the pavers, now that's a sweet driveway set up:nod: EIS means no consumable or wear parts in the wiring not modules or relays to fail. The Down Pressure is worth a lot more than two bills:nod:payup

18. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

Go with the dealer that is close to you and has great hours, so when you break down you can get in there and get it fixed right away. We have only western plows on our trucks because the dealer is in town and is open 24hrs a day during the snow season.

19. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Go snoway, Im going into my 7th season runninng them (all commercial plowing). They are very reliable plows. Im running a 9' ht25 and an 8' 29 series. The downpreassure is awesome!

20. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I really like Western's, but it seems like the best choice for you would be a Sno-Way. Down pressure looks great for backdragging. However, my MVP Plus does a really good job backdragging. Don't know about their straight blades though.