1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help chevy front end

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by APLC, Oct 7, 2009.

1. APLC

APLC Senior Member

Ok I going to give you as much info as possible,
    I have a 95 Chevy Tahoe 1500, I Plow with for the past two winters. Before I was only doing res with it and small gas stations. (that's its only job still) 7.5 western uni. I want to replace a few things on the front end, but it does not seen like much is wrong besides alignment and maybe idler arm Pittman arm. this is what i have done so far this week.
    1. new front shocks
    2. brakes & rotors
    3. (last year) Front Timbrens
    4. (Last year) load range (D) MT tires
    Im looking for some input of things to check and maybe have done BEFORE THE WHITE GOLD STARTS FLYING:nod: thanks in advance guys :drinkup:
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Idler arms seem to go fast on these trucks for me. Also check your ball joints and tie rod ends. I recommend Napa premium for any of these parts. Make sure your wheel bearings feel and sound OK, and your CV boots are not torn. Change your front diff fluid if you don't remember when it was done last.

Also check/service your transfer cases. They tend to get forgotten until it's too late with these trucks. They can mist off the ATF. The best fluid to run in Synthetic Manual Transmission Lube.
  3. bean7654

bean7654 Member

How hard is it to service the transfer case? Is this something that I can do at home. I have pretty good mechanical skills. Also changing the front and rear diff fluid, easy? Want to to this soon before it gets to cold too!
  4. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

It is pretty easy ... Might want to have a short hose or tub attached to a funnel to refill it, makes it a little easier...
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

When you go to service your transfer case, or differentials, make sure you can get the fill plug out FIRST. Before you drain the fluid. After that it's pretty easy. Pull the drain plug, or cover on your rear diff. Drain out the old. Plug or cover back in/on, and fill it up. I use one of those 8 dollar hand pumps from Walmart. In the automotive area, orange in color. Makes it much easier to fill.

NOTE - If you have the Auto-Trac transfer case you MUST use GMs Autotrac fluid, only available from dealers.
  6. APLC

APLC Senior Member

Ive herd things like not to change trans fluid if you have not in a while is it the same for the T Case? also found I could use some A Arm bushings. going to do them this weekend along with idler arm
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you have not done your trans fluid "in a while" do it soon. That's an old wives tale. Doesn't apply to T-cases either;)
  8. APLC

APLC Senior Member

yeah I have not done the trans fluid in a few years so im sure it needs to be changed I just don't want to hurt anything by doing it. in my suburban I'm getting the trans rebuilt this month and ill keep that boy in tip top every year.:help:
  9. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

an easy mess-free way of filling your diff's and case is to get a piece of tubing about 6 or 8 ft long and route it down from above whatever your filling, cut the tip off the gear lube bottle, stick it into the hose and fill away. And no, you wont need a special tool to get out square drive plugs, just use an extention on a ratchet. The myth of not changing fluids to prolong life on anything is just that, a myth. There wouldn't be drains and fills if they weren't meant to be changed. How long would the human body last if it wasn't allowed to change its fluids, hence even we have a fill and a drain(or two).

as always i will re-enforce, always use top-quality stuff, for everything fluids included.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  10. APLC

APLC Senior Member

thanks I'm doing it the truck will be on the hoist tomorrow.
  11. snowbizplowing

snowbizplowing Member

Did you have to beef up the trans or do anything else to make your tahoe a good plow truck? i have a z71 and have been thinkin about putting a plow on it but have been told its not a good idea on this truck. it has some minor problems now that i would need to take care of but besides that i thought i couldn't but a plow on this truck????

I'm really thinking about doing this instead of adding another truck to my fleet figure this would let the truck pay for itself and give me a newer model better looking truck for my commercial and HOA contracts??
  12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Are you really going to keep that for your sig pic?
  13. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

X2... thats going to be annoying as hell
  14. snowbizplowing

snowbizplowing Member

lol, i've been tinkering with **** all night trying to resize it.. i can't seem to resize sima logos in photoshop wonder why... but is this size better?/ it doens't show ya the updated sig til you look at your post didn't realize it was so freakin big. i think its stilll at little to big.. editingg...