1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help Check engine light is on

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by XxChevy-HDxX, Jan 28, 2012.

1. XxChevy-HDxX

XxChevy-HDxX Senior Member
    from Mass

This morn while i was driving the check engine light came on and it was lit on steady. I went to my owners manuel and it said it may be the gas cap that is not installed properly and in a few trips the light will disappear. Truck was running fine no complaints but then after i stopped for a red light the transmission started shift a bit rough. Truck is 06 Silverado 2500HD 6.0. Please help information on this would be great.
    Thanks

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Best thing to do would be to have the codes pulled. Most likely you have a sensor on the fritz. Possibly TPS or speed sensor since it is affecting the shift pattern. You can buy code readers for about $100 and you will make that back on the first problem you fix yourself.

3. XxChevy-HDxX

from Mass

Thank you very much! i also have an appointment set up for monday morning at my gm dealer

4. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

Most autoparts stores will read codes for free

5. XxChevy-HDxX

from Mass

That is helpful to know thanl you!

6. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

My 06 1500 had the check engine light come on, it was a gas cap and some other thing for the fuel system. $13 bucks for the fuel cap because the other one didnt fit right anymore and $300 for the other part. It sucks to pay it, but its what had to be done for inspection haha.

7. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

go to advance auto, ask for the odb 2 tester and they will ask for your license, plug it in under the dash turn the key then click on read codes and code will come up. write down the code.

8. XxChevy-HDxX

from Mass

Thanks for the responses guys

9. hkeyes50

hkeyes50 Junior Member

Plug in problem

I had the exact same problem with the same model/year of truck. Dealer said that I used the block heater when it was too warm outside. Any way there is a cpu reprogramming fix and the total bill for diagnosis and reprogramming was $47.00. I hope your issue is no more complicated. The key to the diagnosis was the rough gear changes in my case.

10. XxChevy-HDxX

from Mass

My dealer said my transmission oil needed to be changed because it had a burning smell thats why the engine light is on. So he flushed the tranny fluid put new fluid and now the light is gone. So as i was going home my truck still shifted rough like it gives a kick so i brought it back to dealer and they said to leave the truck there a couple days to drop the tranny and see what the real problem. Technician thinks the tranny has to rebuilt or may be a damaged gear needs to be replaced and GM agreed to pay half the price to fix.

11. Greenstar lawn

Greenstar lawn Senior Member

My light on my 04 chevy hd is on. Ran the codes and its a evap sensor. Guy said try getting a new gas cap to start and see if the light goes off. Dealer wanted $30 for a gas cap and another $20 for the housing....rip off

12. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Sounds a little fishy to me. I wish you could have told us the codes that were pulled. A GM dealer offering to pay for half of the work to fix it? That just dosen't seem right.

13. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

It does smell like fish in here after that comment....

Smelly transmission oil throwing a code, that sounds wrong to me, but I am not a GM certified technician so what do I know.....

The light will disappear for a while when you delete the codes normally too, you don't have to fix the problem for the light to go off, at least temporarily.

Sometimes the light comes on and there isn't anything wrong, and it may never manifest itself again. Or it could be a faulty sensor as has already been mentioned. Without knowing the actual code it threw, its hard to say what was actually wrong.

It sounds like a classic up selling by the dealer to me....

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  14. XxChevy-HDxX

from Mass

i don't know ethier guys it was pretty fishy to me too i just don't understand how my transmission oil was brun't ethier if i changed it just over a year ago... Something doesn't seem right here i agree but truck is being fixed and expected it tomorrow after noon or thursday morning. And this is the first problem i have ever had with my truck.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  15. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Sounds very fishy to me- I'm no expert, but I'm nearly certain burnt fluid would not cause a CEL..... this is why I have a code scanner so I can find out what the issue is before I take it to any stealer (if it's not something I can do myself)- can't pull the wool over my eyes lol :eek:

I'm putting money on it being a bad trans sensor- but then again I guess it could be a mechanical issue in the tranny, but I'm betting on a bad sensor and the rough shifting is it going into some sort of protection mode...... just my $.02

16. XxChevy-HDxX

from Mass

That makes a lot sense what you wrote.. I'm just curious of what im going to hear when i go pick up my truck.

17. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

somthing as simple as a solinoid in the valve body that sticks can cause slamming into gears. It is simply unreal how much is controlled inside that valve body.