1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need help! Can't get plow to work!

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by GetMore, Jan 6, 2007.

1. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Okay, here's the deal: I used the plow last year, so I know everything worked then. I have power to the plow, the wireless remote turns on (the green light in the power button lights up), and then I tried to reteach the control module its LED turned on/flashed. That's all I have so far.
    Anyone have any suggestions?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

3. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

I reintroduced the controller because I didn't seem to be getting any response.

First I checked for power to the connector at the bumper, then I checked for power at the solenoid. I have power at both. Next I jumped the solenoid to see if the motor would run, and it did.
    Next I swapped a set of rechargable batteries into the remote. The remote does not work with rechargables (which is something I think should be changed), so I placed the alkalines back in, and I get the power light.
    I then checked the multiwire connector, and that was good, checked the ring terminals, they are tight and clean. I didn't take the terminals off, but they are tight and have no sign of corrosion.
    Oh, and I even checked the fuse.

So far everything seems to be powered, but the control module doesn't seem to be responding. The only other thing I could think to try was reintroduction. I know it shouldn't have to be done, but it was the only thing I could think of. Also, it at least told me that I have power to the control.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Does the control flash when you give a command?

5. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

No, it doesn't.
    If I turn down pressure on, then the red light on the remote will turn off when I press "UP", but that is the only response I see from the remote or the control unit.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you have the back lit control the lights should pulse (flash) when you give a command. First try brand new batteries, the best you can get, buy a four pack and check it twice if the first set doen't fix it. You might try introducing the unit. Take extra care erasing the previous codes, double check that they're all gone. Sometimes you have to do it twice

How old is your unit? if it's still under warranty scurry over to your dealer for a new one. If not check the connections for corrosion,look to see if somehow the battery pockets are not conducting power to the unit for some reason (broken wire, broken plastic holders, etc.) but do the battery thing first, it'd be embarrassing:blush2: to have used a bad battery.

If you want your dealer to introduce the unit you can do it with-out you having to take the plow. if he has a unit around he can use it for power to train yours, remove the module and take it and the control to the dealer.

7. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

I just replaced the batteries in the remote, and now it works. Also, now the remote's power light flashes when a button is pushed. I have to try to remember that as part of my troubleshooting process next year.

Thank you Basher!

Now, a side note and a couple of suggestions for Sno-Way:
    I would like the remote to be compatible with Ni-Cad batteries. I have a few sets of Ni-Cads, and a DC charger for them, so I don't have to worry about dead batteries, but the remote doesn't even power up with Ni-Cads. Disposable batteries are much easier for me to lose.
    Or, have a built-in battery, maybe something removable, like digital cameras or cell phones. Then you could also have a docking station that would hold the remote (for use, or just for storage) that will recharge the battery. The trucks I use at work have rechargable flashlights, and the base that holds them is the charger. It's great never having to worry about batteries going dead, just when you need them.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Glad to have been of service:waving:

Email your suggestions to Snoway. They listen.

GO EAGLES:drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

9. Brew

Brew Member

GetMore,

I forwarded your suggestions onto our engineering department. Thanks for your business.

10. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

you guys are making me glad that my new truck came with a sno way!! not to mention the service i got at the local dealer(D&J service in deerfield WI) when i had it checked out.