1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NEED help!! buying truck + plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by afrye307, Feb 20, 2014.

1. afrye307

afrye307 Junior Member
    from afton

I have a 2 mile dirt road up a mountain the road has multiple switchbacks 2 steep hills and a very large open area around the barn. We have been plowing the roads with a bobcat s185 with a v-plow and a bobcat high flow snow blower we have also been using a backhoe for the large opened area around the barn. I tested a 2013 ram 1 ton with a very large boss v-plow all I can say is wow. The bobcat with the v plow took about 6 hours to clear the snow the truck had it done in less then 1 hour. What type of truck would you get for a plow truck based on the road conditions and what type of plow i was looking at the western mvp3 pro and the boss dxt?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

2014 Ford F250 with the Boss 9.2 v plow.

3. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Fixed that for you GV ^^^ Thumbs Up

For the OP, sounds like you already answered your question. 3/4 or 1 ton with a V Plow.

Everyone on here has their favorite brands, with various reasons why.

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Any of the big three manufacturer's super duty's will do the job. It just depends on what you're partial to. And all of the V plows are good. Again, it just depends on what you are partial to. I run a Snowdogg 9'-6" blade and love it. But with that being said, Boss' new DXT also comes in stainless if you want it, and it has both trip edge and full trip blade. If I was aware of them when I bought my plow I might have went that way instead. Having a dual trip really has some advantages over others single trip, regardless of if it's a trip edge, or full trip.

And you're looking awfully late in the season to be buying equipment, aren't you?

5. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

"I tested a 2013 ram 1 ton with a very large boss v-plow all I can say is wow"

This!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  6. grandview

As in,wow,it couldn't move that plow?:laughing:

7. afrye307

afrye307 Junior Member
    from afton

It is late but I have the money now so i am looking now i need a truck i figure i would buy the truck and put the plow on fall of 2014

8. afrye307

afrye307 Junior Member
    from afton

With these new plow what year of truck would you look at I was looking new but people tell me plowing beats the crap out of them. Should i go used and older like 2004. This truck i get will be a back up truck on the farm and plow truck in the winter. I have other trucks and suvs that I can drive.

9. maxwellp

It is harder on things but only as hard as you make it. I would not put a plow on a new truck even if I have the money. Some how there are always bushes & trees rubbing up and down the sides. There are very good used trucks that people have used as cars. Older = 2004 Ha Ha, I still think 1990 is almost new. I have a 2005 Dodge 3500 that has only 38,000 miles on it. They can be found. My 2001 has 175000 still going. So for me it would be about condition more than what year.

10. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Well, like I said earlier, everyone has their own preferences as to which truck/plow to get. I've got a new Ram 2500 diesel and love it. Sure plowing adds stress/wear and tear on your truck, but I'd rather start with something new/under warranty if it's got the plow prep package to begin with than buying something that may already have worn out ball joints, bearings etc... That's just a personal preference though. And I don't know how much hp/tq you will need, but Ram has the most torque out of any of the big three which I liked as well. Not that you need all of that for plowing, but if you're pulling heavy trailers on your farm etc. it may come in handy. Just go drive all three, compare prices and see which one is for you.

11. afrye307

afrye307 Junior Member
    from afton

I would go ram I am a sales manager at a ram dodge dealership it's basically choosing between new or used.

12. grandview

Big mistake, you'll be much happier pulling into the dealership in a Ford!

13. maxwellp

Well now that changes things, You could get a new one for a very good price.
    But you could also keep your eye out for that low mile trade in.

[​IMG]

Or you could just get one from SoCal like this. 2001 no rust "yet"

14. Urdum2

Urdum2 Member

Remember this when buying a plow truck, add half of the current mileage for all the backing up.... If truck has 50 k miles figure 25 k for driving backwards, so in reality the truck has 75 k of wear and tear on all of its parts...

15. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Suzuki Samurai with a 6 foot straight blade for sure. That's what you want there. :jester:

More seriously though, yeah, trucks -- any trucks -- are a hell of a lot faster and more efficient at moving snow than machines.

16. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

:rolleyes:

17. afrye307

afrye307 Junior Member
    from afton

would you go new or used truck?