1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Need Help Buying a 6.5 Western Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by machine, Oct 30, 2000.

1. machine

machine Junior Member

I am looking a 6.5 Western Unimount Plow mounted on a Dogde Dakota this morning. It has a key pad control and the plow is 1yr old used 3x last year. (so, thats 2yrs depreciated). His offer price is $1995. The plow mount will need to taken off the truck, either by me or him.(I don't Know yet). He did say the cost of a New one is $3500.

I would like to mount it on a 96 Ford Ranger or a 96 GMC Jimmy. Both are 4X4's.

Any suggestions and comments would be helpful, like the price you would pay.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Mentor, Angel
    from Chicago

I find it hard to believe a 6.5' Western Plow could cost $3500, but I haven't priced plows lately. The last plow I bought was 5 years ago, a 8' Western Pro and it was $2350 mounted. The last price I saw on this same plow was $2600 and the Western V plow was $3450. I do live closer to the Western Factory than you do though.

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Well, I just took a look at Central Parts Warehouse. Here's their prices for reference purposes.

Western
    6-1/2' (78") (For SUV) List Price $3,338.00 Sell For $2,361.18 This doesn't include shipping, but proves the price you were told for a new one is VERY high. Even higher than the "list price".

~Chuck

4. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

Don't take the bait!

I'm buying a brand new Western MVP 8.5 foot Vee Plow for $3550 out the door, installed. Obviously, your plow should be <b>much</b> cheaper than mine. I agree with the above posts, shop around. Sometimes used costs nearly as much as new.

My opinion is if its new (no matter what<b>"it"</b> is), you aren't buying someone else's problems, unless it is a good deal, which offsets that risk.

Eric-

One would think proximity would matter. We were going to take the truck to Monroe right in Milwaukee and "dealer price" was slightly under $4000, and I do mean slightly.

The price of $3550 was regular, everday pricing. It is about a half hour drive from your service area. Email me if you are interested in knowing the location. They sell Western, Boss, and Meyer that I know of, possibly others.

[Edited by Greenman2ooo on 10-30-2000 at 06:43 PM]

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Mentor, Angel
    from Chicago

Could you email me with that info? I can't email you since yours isn't listed. Mine is plastered all over the forum and on my website. :)

I think I have an idea where you are talking about.

6. machine

machine Junior Member

Thanks for the Input guys, I just purchased it for $1475 a litte more than my offer. I called around and got a bunch of quotes and everyone wanted 2900 to 3200 for a new 6.6 plow.

Although it is not the best time of year to buy a plow this one is one year old, looks band new, and was kept in a heated garage. No pits on the cylinders and no rust. Well I will keep you guys informed on how it will work out on a 96 Ranger. I might have to put air bags in the coils, cause the things weighs around 700lbs. It is my first Western, I have had Meyers' for years. I hope it work outs great. Just let it Snow. I am ready to go!

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Skip the air bags, and install load boosters.
    Dino

8. machine

machine Junior Member

Well I installed the plow on the 96 Ranger. The load boosters worked out great, although they were expensive at $125 per kit. I will add an electric fan and maybe a salt spreader next. Thanks again.

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

You wont need the electric fan, we had a 95 ranger with the 4.0 with a 6.5 fisher and the temp gauge needle never moved.